• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A few questions with Flashing Rom and a2sd...

tiring_day

Mar 16, 2010
Hi

I am roooted and currently running CM6.1, loving the speed and the extra battery life. I now however want to get my apps to run on my SD card, I am think of using darktremor to do the job but wonder if someone could help with some questions.

Will the partitioning of the card and formatting it wipe the Goldcard section of the SD card?

Do I need to put all the stuff I take off the SD card back onto it, I want the music and photos back on but there is a lot of stuff hung over from when I installed every app on the market?

Reading through everything I can find it seems like a 512mb partition seems about right, I believe there is a swap and cache part involved, any ideas on what to make these?

Think that is all for now.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi

I am roooted and currently running CM6.1, loving the speed and the extra battery life. I now however want to get my apps to run on my SD card, I am think of using darktremor to do the job but wonder if someone could help with some questions.

Will the partitioning of the card and formatting it wipe the Goldcard section of the SD card?

Do I need to put all the stuff I take off the SD card back onto it, I want the music and photos back on but there is a lot of stuff hung over from when I installed every app on the market?

Reading through everything I can find it seems like a 512mb partition seems about right, I believe there is a swap and cache part involved, any ideas on what to make these?

Think that is all for now.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
you can use rom manager for ext and sawp partitions, if you have a linux or gparted live cd you can use gparted to create these
when formatting the mmc it will not wipe the area that contains the goldcard image

Upvote 0
I'm similar and looking to do this too.

I have a 8gb Micro SDHC card class 2 and have seen some comments that this might not be a good idea with a class 2 card can someone confirm either way?

Also you suggest ROM Manager but every time I try to use it I get signature verification failed which stops the partition and I can't then partition from Recovery as I understand it

Upvote 0
Well have partitioned card with Rom manager and wiped and installed cyanogenmod, gapps and darktremor and it doesn't look like cyanogenmod is seeing the new partition checked on terminal emulator and can't see it. Checked partition on gpart and can see it so restored the backup and here I am again. Any one got any idea?

Thanks

Steve

Upvote 0
Well have partitioned card with Rom manager and wiped and installed cyanogenmod, gapps and darktremor and it doesn't look like cyanogenmod is seeing the new partition checked on terminal emulator and can't see it. Checked partition on gpart and can see it so restored the backup and here I am again. Any one got any idea?

Thanks

Steve
you should have used quick info to see if it was using the a2sd storage?

try defrost with the a2sd script built in, its based on AOSP and cyanogen anyway

Upvote 0
lemme butt in with a question too.

does rooting give you more internal memory? as i'm unrooted, i have the standard 147mb. does installing/replacing the standard rom give you more space from the presumbly more efficient and smaller in size roms?

I am pretty sure it doesn't as the internal memory is partitioned too. If you are rooted however it is possible to move those partitions.

Steve

Upvote 0
you should have used quick info to see if it was using the a2sd storage?

try defrost with the a2sd script built in, its based on AOSP and cyanogen anyway

Hi

I got it sorted last night and now have apps saving to SD card. I take it you mean "quick system info" and it is showing use of a2sd however don't like the app as it installs a task killer and doesnt tell you.

Steve

Upvote 0
Hi

I got it sorted last night and now have apps saving to SD card. I take it you mean "quick system info" and it is showing use of a2sd however don't like the app as it installs a task killer and doesnt tell you.

Steve

use titanium backup then and yes thats the area

it doesnt kill tasks unless you tell it too. just dont use the widget and remove the notification

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones