• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few questions.

sorbet

Feb 7, 2010
Ohio
Hey everyone, thinking of picking up my first smartphone on Tuesday and I'm thinking about the Droid! It's between that or a Blackberry, and I feel like the Blackberry is just too business-man for me, the Droid seems to do it all AND be fun. I have a few questions though
-Is there a status light like on the Blackberrys? Is the color changeable?
-How do you know when you have a new text/email? Is there a number that appears next to the icon?
-Is there an additional fee to use Google Maps? I know about the $30 data fee, that's fine but I know there's a VZNavigator fee of $10...do I have to pay that also?

I know they seem silly but I don't have anyone to ask :eek:

yes status light and its changeable via handcent free messenger app.
there is a number on the icon in the notification bar that shows how many unread texts you have. I am not sure if the stock messenger app does this but myself and many others use handcent which is free in the market and ultra customizeable. Google mapsw/Navigation is completely free and freakin awesome!! I use it on road trips at the same time as streaming Pandora through my car stereo. If you are listening to Pandora the navigation will pause the music when it gives you voice directions so you don't miss turns. love it and again, its free!!!! Get the Droid and check droidforums.net for more cool stuff you can do like root and overclock!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones