1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A few random questions.....

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JohnnyBravo1000, Dec 18, 2012.

1. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert

Just a few random questions for fellow S3 users.

Do you keep all your apps updated, including those which came pre-installed that you never use? I've got updates for things like ChatON, AllShareCast Dongle S/W Update - both of I've never used and have no idea what it is. They seem fairly large updates though so I'm unsure if it's worth updating them when I won't use them.

There are also updates availabe for things like Flipboard, Google+, Google Play Movies and TV which I've heard of but don't use.

I've also had a prompt to download an update for some kind of Samsung push service which attempted to take me to the Samsung Apps application which again I don't use - although I assume it's a load of paid for Samsung apps?

Was just wondering what people do with this type of thing?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. saltz

saltz Well-Known Member

I have disabled much of the apps you are talking about. If you go in to application manager, then the all tab. Search for the apps you mentioned, plus others you don't use. Select the app, if it has already updated there will be a box that says uninstall updates. Once you uninstall updates, you should have the disable option. Some apps will not let you disable, but you can still uninstall updates, then go to the play store and set them not to auto update. Someone posted on this forum a list of things that can be disabled, if you want to search for it. I don't think it will let you disable a main function, but who knows. Hope this helps.

3. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Android Enthusiast

I keep all apps updated just in case there are security holes in them. I do use Google+ and Flipboard extensively by the way. Try them out. both very good.

Updating them only updates the data that is different between your current version and the new version so not a lot of extra data being pushed to your phone. you can also set it to update over wifi only to avoid data charges.

Lastly I keep them as I may try them out later on and release I like them.

Samsung app store just has apps they provide. I think most are free. There are maybe a hundred app stores out there with different stuff. Always nice to browse them.

4. Mar

Mar Well-Known Member

The samsung app store also offers free photo editor and free word editing apps so can be good.

5. davoid

davoid Android Expert

I only update apps after reading the most recent comments on Play Store, in case the latest update breaks the app.

Yes the Samsung Apps is an app store where you can download apps - some paid, some free. Samsung have given away free some nice apps - 3D games such as Shadowgun, so it's worth checking out.

6. jgscott987

jgscott987 Member

I used to automatically update all of my apps, but I've had more than a few occasions where the 'update' actually broke/removed some functionality or did nothing but ad more advertisements.

I've reversed my policy now, such that I only update an app if there is a good reason to do so. About once a month I'll go to the play store to see what apps have updates available. Most months I don't update any of them.

Let's face it, in 3 years of using Android, there have been very few app updates that made a program noticeably better, but many that actually caused problems.

7. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert

Thanks for all the feedback. I've now followed the lead of those disabling a lot of the apps they don't use.

8. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

I turn off auto-updating for all apps. I usually don't update apps unless I have issues with the current version or there are features in the new version that I am interested in. I have been burned updating an app that had some issues after the update, so I am rather cautious about updating apps now.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews