• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A few simple questions - RE: Contacts...for you all at least not me LOL

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
A few questions.

1. This Vibrant is FANTASTIC but IT SUCKS. Ya known? It keeps doing nothing, then going blank, then coming back, then while waiting it comes back doing that vibrate thing in your hand. LOL I have to turn it off occasionally when it turns blank.

What is causing this. Could it be me using a Taskiller??

2. What is up with contacts?

a) how do most people use it? Just use google , say 'f' the phone and the ringtones. That would be easy. Cause if you use both, then once u have alll the google, then u copy to the phone, then what do you do with a new one? put in google first OR put on the phone first. Then u are left with all these linked numbers all the place

b) JUST TODAY I am getting names like Joe Smith/m 410-486-5160 Never saw that before. And it's not his "mobile" and its not saying mobile is the main number because I have only used that feature once??

Lastly
c) What is the quickest way to delete all contacts from your phone?? I have a backup to resync when clean. but how do I remove them all??

Thanks so much
Eric

Could task killer be causing your phone issues- possibly. It causes these issues on some phones. Other possible causes could be if you are using a different home launcher. Mine started acting up when I used one so I took it off :/

What's up with contacts?
Well I couldn't really understand what you were asking here. So I'll just tell you what I've done. I created a gmail account just for my phone. I went into it and typed in all of my contacts. Then I turned on the Gmail sync on my phone. Now all of my contacts are in my phone and I have a backup on gmail. For ringtones I downloaded ringdroid and ringo lite. Ringdroid cuts the music for you and ringo lite lets you assign it to a contact.

If this does not answer your question, please rephrase it and we'll try to help.

Reactions: eric0668
Upvote 0
Could task killer be causing your phone issues- possibly. It causes these issues on some phones. Other possible causes could be if you are using a different home launcher. Mine started acting up when I used one so I took it off :/

What's up with contacts?
Well I couldn't really understand what you were asking here. So I'll just tell you what I've done. I created a gmail account just for my phone. I went into it and typed in all of my contacts. Then I turned on the Gmail sync on my phone. Now all of my contacts are in my phone and I have a backup on gmail. For ringtones I downloaded ringdroid and ringo lite. Ringdroid cuts the music for you and ringo lite lets you assign it to a contact.

If this does not answer your question, please rephrase it and we'll try to help.

Thanks Robinelli, I sometimes have a hard time expressing myself in writing..in person no problem :)

The first part I understand . However, I have not changed my launcher. I DO get an error msg saying "waiting on starter, force or wait" quite a bit. Also, like I said, black screens, then only 3 of the bottom 4 icons at the bottom light, weird How would I know what my launcher is? If I didn't change it, I would know right?

As far as the contacts. I totally understand about gmail accounts and contacts there, and the same account on the phone and they sync. But when I started EITHER making a copy of contacts to have on my SIM for backup OR exported them to the SD Card and then imorted them to the phone, then I had a contact for google obviously, the phone, SIM. But today I had contacts with their name Joe Smith/m WEIRD. And then, when you want a new contact, MY question was, how do you enter it--phone OR google account. Well, you answered iit. Google account

However that does not give you the option of
- using a separate ringtone for any of those people cause they are not on the phone
-if you export all the numbers to the SD card and then reimport them to the phone, that is when you get all the duplicates. Understand

So what you are saying is
-you don't rely on using the fact that they have to be on the phone to have their individual ringtone, you use that separate program. I believe I understand

But am I correct in saying that asssigning individual ringtones in any native way, you have to have that contact on the "phone" not google, and then place in a group.

That way works FINE.
But not if you are like me and want it clean. Understand? LOL
Your way is better.

Thank you as always. Please tell me if you understand any better in the least. I try.

Eric

Reactions: Robinelli
Upvote 0
Wow, I was gonna PM this but you deserve it here. I may have shared this here and there, but I try to minimize it. But I have been out of work since 2001 with depression/anxiety and had cancer in 2008.

so, the "chemo brain" as my therapist makes me laugh, giving a just reason that I sometims forget stuff may be a reason that I cannot always explain right

But you go right along, help ever so clearly and quickly passing no judgement

I think other people should know that. There are others too. But you stand out
Thanks

I will decide tonight after a long day of driving if I can understand the programs.
I will either say yes...and just use them AND the google account.
Or I will say, Ahhhhhh Robinelli plz help
Or I will say, no I will stick to what I have, it may not be clean tho

So I wanna verify, you did verify, you did understand, and If I do it that way, I will be adding new contacts later, then having to export and reimport to phone, then have 4, 5 , 6 linked numbers?...correct MESS

Lastly, I still get the blackouts, the vibrating (whats that called, heptic vibrating--a jerking feeling), I see the SD card taking FOREVER to start, sometimes after a blank screen, and always after rebooting

So do you think I should take off the Taskiller??
Or, would you look at a post I put in adk forum/Vibrant/General. someone said there is a "fix" for that stuff in Galaxy S, might you be able to see it. I was blind

Are you a moderator here by chance, or one on any other forum?

(that was the last as I said...LOL I can't kill you, me, or anyone else reading. But I wanna thank anyone else who reads. I saved a link to a thread on some forum about imporoving battery life. I could not understand it in the least. I saved it. Maybe if you are willing you could explain it.....It is a long post tho)

Upvote 0
Thanks Spiz for even trying

I WILL remove it.
Just remove, maybe reboot with the battery? yes no?
Anything else, like going thru the settings/app and clearing cache on some

I was saying somewhere when I had a Nexus, the support said def clear cache
someone on here, adk or somewhere said Linux does not need that , in fact it slows it down

might you know the truth, and should I do it...even with removing the battery

Man, I give you credit. I was saying I know I am not easy to understand unless I take an hour to wriite. But for you to come in at the end of the forum... very nice..and phenomenal that you could grasp anything

:)
Thx
Eric

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones