• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Few Tips and Help For a Newbie To Android

bobadopalis

Aug 28, 2010
Hi im soon to be getting my first android phone, htc desire on t-mobile UK (so from what ive heard it will be branded), i will be rooting it and ideally a custom rom. im happy with the rooting process (done quite a bit of modding with consoles), im just at a loss with custom roms for it at the minute, if anyone could suggest one that would suit my needs it would be awesome.

Im after a fairly similar to stock, idealy 2.2, but with some performance tweaks, im after:
-HTC sense
-a2sd
-the ability to overclock (and ideally auto underclock settings when in sleep mode)
- battery performance tweak

and also what is the difference in omoled vs slcd screens when it comes to custom roms and rooting, and also just generally in day to day use? are there any differences in quality, display etc?

and also whats the best os for rooting, roms etc? i mainly use a mac but also have xp, vista, 7 and linux. i understand theres no software currently for mac? and id rather stay away from 7 if at all possible (my copys not that stable)

all help would be greatly appreciated, and i hope this is in the right forum

I cant answer all your questions but:

a2sd is the standard froyo implementation. I suspect what you're after is a2sd+, which although came before the froyo implementation, is much better (moves more and doesnt really on app developer to code the functionality in).

You can underclock any rooted rom using an app on the market called set cpu. Well worth the money.

Some custom roms come with (or the option to add) kernels which will overclock at the same voltage as the HTC kernel (defrost for example). Overclocking at the same voltage means no hardware degredation extra to the norm, plus if you underclock, you are undervolting so the battery usage is less. Defrost does not have sense though, so this rom is maybe a bit further down the line for you.

I always recommend MoDaCo roms for close to stock. They do have tweaks that imporve performance slightly and battery, but they are not overclock-able. Very stable though.

I haven't tried any other roms other than the 2 developers I mentioned above, but I'm sure there are sense roms that can be overclocked so I will leave teh field open for other members to field that one.

Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: bobadopalis
Upvote 0
ah yes a2sd+ is what i was after. does it come included in the roms (i know you've got to put a partition on the sd card) or is it set up afterward?

ive read good things on the forum about MoDaCo. are they the closest to stock? because i can live without overclocking for a while, as long as they can be underclocked with set cpu (for the old battery life). while im playing around with android i think stabilitys the most important thing atm

thanks for your help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones