• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A fix for Motorola Triumph's Slow GPS (by updating GPS library)

jetlawn

Lurker
Jul 29, 2011
I register an account to let you know that long GPS lock time is a software issue and not a hardware issue:D. It can be fixed by updating the Triumph's GPS library.

Follow These Steps:
1. Root your phone (use gingerbreak.apk) and install clockwork recovery (http://androidforums.com/triumph-al...orola-triumph-root-guide-upd-7-30-2011-a.html).

2. BACKUP (I am not responsible if something happens to your phone).

3. Go to this XDA thread ([6.Aug.2011][Dev] GPS Libraries v2.0 with AGPS support for HD2 Gingerbread - xda-developers).

4. Download GPS_Libraries_v2.0_RPC_for_HD2_Gingerbread_update. zip (Thanks tytung for developing this fix)

5. Put the zip file on your sd card and flash it through ClockModRecovery. Restart after flashing.

6. Turn on GPS fix application. You should see improvement in accuracy and lock time. (For me, I can get a lock in less than 10 seconds)

Please let me know in the thread if it works for you.

EDIT: It seems like turning on wifi increase GPS lock time but not by much. If GPS lock is still slow for you, try to disable WIFI.

I am going to give this fix another try step by step and see if I missed something because I tried this the other day and nothing, my GPS still will not lock and Gps Fix shows I have about 5 or more satellites connected.

Hopefully 2nd time is a charm and there are some really good YouTube videos on how to install Clockwork mod on your Triumph on YouTube for anyone who is hesitant.

EDIT: I did the 2nd install and on the first attempt with Gpslock, it had 6 or more sats connected and was hanging but I got a location after about a minute and stayed locked on so I will update again later today as I am heading to Chicago and that will be the real test.

Hope at least!

~Novak

Upvote 0
You guys do realize that flashing this zip on our phone does nothing right. The updater-script inside the zip tries to mount our system partition as a mtd partition which does not mount the system partition at all and then it tries to copy the files to an unmounted system which means basically the files never make it on the phone!

I will try to get a zip that will actually copy the files over posted soon after I test it to make sure it won't break nothing!

Reactions: BBears and JarGnex
Upvote 0
You guys do realize that flashing this zip on our phone does nothing right. The updater-script inside the zip tries to mount our system partition as a mtd partition which does not mount the system partition at all and then it tries to copy the files to an unmounted system which means basically the files never make it on the phone!

I will try to get a zip that will actually copy the files over posted soon after I test it to make sure it won't break nothing!

I know for sure that my results (posted above) are not placebo. My GPS literally locked in under 10 seconds. That has NEVER happened. I was even in my basement. Are you sure that flashing this has absolutely no effect?

Upvote 0
Now perhaps mounting the system partition first then flashing it would work.

I dud it and got the files over on my phone. Mine was already locking fast before and I can't tell much of a difference after but to some it may help more. But yeah just mount system first. Then check by seeing if it added some GPS.bravo.so and GPS.Leo.so in the /system/lib/hw/ folder.

Upvote 0
Sounds promising. I think I tried this method before and it didn't really work. So, let me ask a couple questions.

After doing this mod, does it still work after cold start (turning phone off and changing locations then turning phone back on)? On the XDA thread there are different versions of the file to download, should I always keep the most recent RPC version (currently 2.1)?

I will try this again today. I'm going out of town, so that'l be a good test.

Upvote 0
I have used this youtube tutorial below on how to install and use CWMod. Installed the RPC version 2.1 suggested in this forum with CWMod and no dice. I also mounted the system and cache. Phone GPS still can't lock on to my position, any other suggestions?

EDIT: This forum will not allow me to use links in my first post so please go to youtube and put 1H0KMnVy26Y in the search.

Upvote 0

I dud it and got the files over on my phone. Mine was already locking fast before and I can't tell much of a difference after but to some it may help more. But yeah just mount system first. Then check by seeing if it added some GPS.bravo.so and GPS.Leo.so in the /system/lib/hw/ folder.

Is there a way to just access your phone and overwrite the existing GPS files with the ones provided in the 2.1 zip file by copying and pasting? Just seem like it would be 10 times easier to do it that way...

Upvote 0

Yup, do this 1st and it works like a charm. I first tried it with out mounting the other day and didn't see any differance. I read your comment and found in my version of CWR (blue letter version) that there was an option to mount to the system (mounts and storage>Mount/system). Well I mounted to system then installed the zip and rebooted the phone twice to make sure it was a cold start. It locked within 10 seconds from my yard.

Now let me tell you it was hit or miss before. My yard usually took about 5 minutes to cold lock. Most other places a couple minutes. After doing this mod, in my yard took 10 seconds to lock and on a cloudy rainy night. Thats awesome.

So as b_random said you have to mount to the system 1st to make the mod stick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones