• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A General Consensus Before I Purchase Mine? (and a couple of other questions) :)

sorry to bump my own thread

phone has arrived

I can return it unopened if I want, I was rung with the offer and if i didn't take it then I couldn't have it later.

The only real issue I have before keeping the phone was my first question in my original post

'the amount of RAM in this phone, I know in comparison to other android phones it is pretty low but im more interested in how this translates to real world use. Does anyone have issues with it?, what kind of multi tasking experience can I expect?, will I be able to run the browser, IM, the music player and a couple of other apps at the same time or will I have problems doing that?. If anyone could give their thoughts on it I would really appreciate it.'

sorry to press but it would be really cool if anyone could take a minute to answer :)

Its just I will be out for a while after today so it is kinda by tomorrow morning I have to decide if im keeping it or not (moving house :p)

Upvote 0
Right, I think most people will agree this is generally an alright phone, nothing amazing out of the box though! You should be able to run several apps at a time, to be honest though the way the Android system is designed they don't all stay running as you might expect on, say, Windows...Android closes them down if they've not been used for a while, but they load back into memory pretty quickly. You just need to get used to how things work (i.e. pressing the 'back' button will generally close an app, pressing the 'home' button will just return to the home screen, a long press on home opens a list of recently-used apps - rather like a switcher)...

My advice is to head over to Samdroid quickly, read how to install a mod, how to root the phone, get apps2sd running, get multitouch working and go from there.

i would advise installing appbrain as your first app from the market, it will save you a lot of time and energy in future!

Also get LauncherPro or similar as a replacement home, you'll like that too...

Reactions: CraigGB
Upvote 0
My advice is to head over to Samdroid quickly, read how to install a mod, how to root the phone, get apps2sd running, get multitouch working and go from there.

i would advise installing appbrain as your first app from the market, it will save you a lot of time and energy in future!

Also get LauncherPro or similar as a replacement home, you'll like that too...

Don't root the phone if you want to be able to use the warrenty:mad: - rooting invalidates warrenty

Upvote 0
If money no object then get the Galaxy S, or at least look for the best contract deal with the S.

If you want speed, stability, greater memory and performance from your Galaxy Portal then you can get up to 3 x times improvement with various updates.
e.g.
Rooted phone.
LeshaK's 2.08 update
Samdroid Kitchen Mod
Frozen EClair ie Samdriod Turbo (currently Beta 8)
Apps3SD (supports allocatating up to 1GB on SD card for Apps)
Xmister Performance boot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones