• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A good or bad time to buy the Note?

SkEvol

Nov 29, 2011
Wanting to purchase a note, mainly for its great size. Wanted a tablet to read pdfs on my travels, nexus 7 looked good and affordable over a heavier iPad, but I need to travel light. Wanting a new phone, AND a tablet-esque form, Note seems to fit the bill. One device to carry around... much more ideal for me.

It's currently going for 366 in the UK (cheapest deal, unlocked, simfree, black)

Looking at reviews, Engadget says it was near to 600pounds when it was first released. So this is massively cheaper than it was.

But of course (and typical for my luck) the Note2 is just around the corner. Premium it will be, and so I expect 600pounds or maybe 550 in the UK if we're lucky.

My question is.... do u think the Note will drop in price after Note2 is released (any more than it already has)? It's already much much cheaper than it was, and definitely within my budget, but I wanted some opinions about if how it could be EVEN cheaper. Do u think its likely? It seems unlikely to me that u could potentially buy a 5.3" device for less than 366.

What do u guys think? .2" does not seem like a worth waiting for increment to me, but orb course it WILL be quadcore hmm.... so maybe THAT is worth waiting for.. hmm...

Im pretty confident that the general operAtion of it is fast enough, but I mainly want my travel pdfs to be smooth. I tried them on the s3, seems 'just about good enough' to me, using the stock reader but I wld ideally like all the real estAte I can get.

What do u think guys, is the note any good for pdfs?
What do u think the note2 will cost?

If you can wait just a bit more - wait - and get the original Note for even cheaper. Whay not? Unless it is a huge rush that you have one right now.... I'm betting you'll save another 100 off the current price in a month....
Agree totally with you McGilli.. this is still a fantastic device (depending on your expectations) it does and will do for the next couple of years exactly what I want. I love it!!!!:D

Upvote 0
Personally, I don't think the price will "crash" much further. It may come down another 50 quid or so, but it's a lottery I guess :) - If i were you i would invest now and enjoy it now, as you could be waiting another six months, tablet/phoneless, for the odd pound or 2.

As to waiting for the Note 2, definitely not worth the wait imho. I have had my note around 8 months and am over the moon with it still. I have handled and played with an S3 and cannot see any great differences really, apart from ergonomics (weight and shape). I gather the Note 2 will be a similar device to the S3.

Depends if you want to spend 2x as much on the latest "must have" gadget or will be satisfied with "last years model". Rather like a pair of training shoes, the models don't change apart from the odd flash or colour change. They still work the same :)

I use mine primarily as a tabet, it must be said, music, videos, browsing, games, are all 2nd to none. And also enjoy greatly updating the ROMs periodically, as mine is rooted. All good fun :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the opinion guys, I really appreciate it. Its alwaya reassuring to hear that ppl are happy with their purchases. I think I agree with the guy when he likens it to the trainers scenario. It's quite stark, to think the note could end up being literally half of the price of the new one.

100quid cheaper I just cannot see it. I just cant rly imagine a 5.3" phone for 300quid.

I suppose logically u could possibly gauge the timeliness or the price drop from history. Anyone know how soon the s2 came down after the s3 launch? (i wasn't looking)

I would guess it wont be immediAte, maybe 1month after note2 release. And of course, the note2 might even take a month to come out after its announcement on the 29th.
It truly is a gamble! I'm not in a massive hurry to upgrade but I do really want to get hands on this gadget!

For those who own the original, how does the battery fare? I haven't had much chance to look, but I wanted to compare the battery with the s3.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the opinion guys, I really appreciate it. Its alwaya reassuring to hear that ppl are happy with their purchases. I think I agree with the guy when he likens it to the trainers scenario. It's quite stark, to think the note could end up being literally half of the price of the new one.

100quid cheaper I just cannot see it. I just cant rly imagine a 5.3" phone for 300quid.

I suppose logically u could possibly gauge the timeliness or the price drop from history. Anyone know how soon the s2 came down after the s3 launch? (i wasn't looking)

I would guess it wont be immediAte, maybe 1month after note2 release. And of course, the note2 might even take a month to come out after its announcement on the 29th.
It truly is a gamble! I'm not in a massive hurry to upgrade but I do really want to get hands on this gadget!

For those who own the original, how does the battery fare? I haven't had much chance to look, but I wanted to compare the battery with the s3.

Upvote 0

You mention you are upgrading? From what? I bought a Sony Xperia Arc S as a 2nd phone, to free up the Note when Im using the Sony as phone. If you are upgrading from a half decent smartphone, keep it as phone and use Note as phablet. Its nice 2 have 2 devices for music and when one packs up for battery bring out the other one.

Talking of battery, standby mode should allow a couple of days easy, but in heavy use around 8hrs max. Phones aren't what they used to be in terms of use. I mean, in the old days we used a phone as a phone. T'would sit in pocket or bag for days with occasional use. Now they are replacement laptops, lol. And pple complain about battery use, doh!

Upvote 0
processing power never has been a problem, I have never had noticeable lag or delays for anything. Nothing which would make me think "I wish i had a better processor".

Overall I would go with the note 1. For the price you mention, and overall useability for all things, it's the best. I only really bought the 2nd phone because it suits me to have my note free to take notes, haha, whilst on a call without fumbling about trying to open apps whilst manipulating a call. I have handled the smaller S3 and still found it a bit small. Its a nice phone, very nice. But the extra .5 inches on the diagonal has a big effect. I also heard the note 2 will be longer, ie more height and less width of screen (maybe) than the note 1. I like the fat screen of the note. It just is such an ergonomic joy to use.

My Xperia has a largish 4.2 inch screen, but it just feels so diddy and fiddly to use compared to the note.

I use my note so much for browsing and emails, music, video, etc etc. Its a great product. I repeat, for the price - around 350-400 quid, its a steal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones