• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Great Screen Protector

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
Whitestone Kit.jpg I finally found a glass screen protector that works! I've tried a soft one from Ringke, an inexpensive curved glass one, the $35 glass from Gobukee and finally the $50 glass from Whitestone. Obviously, the Whitestone is the keeper. The Ringke smudged more than any other protector I've ever tried. The curved glass had a black adhesive ring at the edge and killed the sensitivity. The Gobukee had potential, but after watching the installation video and trying twice, I couldn't remove all the air bubbles and neither can others. Now for Whitestone. I really hesitated due to the price. I'm not wealthy. But after reading a review that said "$50 isn't that much when you're protecting a $900 phone". It is worth every penny. The expense comes from the included UV curing light and all the parts you use to properly install the glass. I have never seen a protector with so many parts, stickers, cloths etc. I strongly suggest that you watch the installation video once or twice. Make sure you're in a dust free room. A bathroom after steaming is suggested, but I don't have enough counter space to be comfortable spreading out the parts. Also read the directions! This is the most involved installation than any other protector. Not difficult, just many steps; and they work. It took me about 30 minutes and it works perfectly. No decrease in sensitivity, no interference with my Ringke case, it's great! They even give you instructions and additional adhesive if you don't get it right the first time. When completed, keep everything. If it ever cracks, you can get replacement glass for a lot less. (At least that's what they say) Unfortunately, I don't own stock in the company and I get no kickbacks for any sales. I paid full price for mine.

Watched the video...
Might look into one, if something happens to the built in on the LoveMei.

Only question I have is if it does break, how easily will it be to get it off. I mean it's cured onto the screen. ..

It comes with instructions to remove it. And I don't think that it's really bonded to the phones screen. When you bond to a smooth surface, like glass, you usually have to etch it. That puts microscopic pits in the glass that the resin can lock into. They say you can pick off the pieces with your fingers. (But I'm not willing to try) lol

Reactions: PitCarver
Upvote 0
I think the uv curing angle is only there to let the adhesive be as fluid as possible to get the bubbles out - and then you can hit it quick to cure it and it sets up.
vs the adhesive being half cured and coated with plastic tape at the factory.
I definitely agree. The liquid is very fluid, almost like water. It flows beautifully under the glass and I didn't get even a tiny air bubble. All you do is let the adhesive flow under the glass. It isn't fast and you can influence the direction of flow by tilting the tray. They really did think of everything. After you open the package and read the instructions, you understand why they charge what they do. So far, no fingerprints and no problems. Completely satisfied.

Upvote 0
I think I might have to buy one of those - maybe now that they make the kit - perhaps you can later get just the glass piece if you need a replacement.
They say that they have "Glass only" kits without the UV lamp. When I checked their website, they had glass only kits, but our LG V40 wasn't listed. I sent them an email asking about glass only for our phone. I'll post the answer when I get it.

Upvote 0
I just received a reply. This is what they said,
"Thank you for reaching out to us. We are already out of stock for the replacement kit of this Dome Glass model and we don't have any information if this item will still be back in stock. We apologize for the inconvenience."
Not what I wanted to hear. It also sounds like they aren't the manufacturer of the protector, they only resell it. Very confusing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We'll, that figures.
Such is the state of business, these days.

This now, begs the question - If your screen protector breaks, will they have a replacement, available, for it?

I went to their website and asked, "since they don't have glass only packages, what happens if I have a warranty claim? Do you send the retail package with the UV light removed or issue a refund of the purchase price?" We'll see what they say.

Upvote 0
I have written to them a few more times and all I get is garbage. They keep sidestepping my question by answering a different question. I asked what would they do if I had a warranty claim? They answered, "since it's within 30 days, return it to Amazon." Then when I tried to be more specific, they didn't answer. I didn't think to check their warranty. Now I feel dumb.:goofydroid: It is an excellent protector and I couldn't find another one that worked. Would I have spent $50 if I knew there wasn't a warranty? I don't know. Now I've given them every opportunity to say they will cover their protector and they failed. Buyer beware!

Upvote 0
I guess that you can hope it's as good as they claim, or that it fails within 30 days. If not, $50.00 is not "that" unreasonable for a protector that seems as nice as you've described.

I have, though, seen them packaged with 2 protectors, in the kit. Don't know the cost difference between the single and double kits, but I'd be splurging on a double.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
I guess that you can hope it's as good as they claim, or that it fails within 30 days. If not, $50.00 is not "that" unreasonable for a protector that seems as nice as you've described.

I have, though, seen them packaged with 2 protectors, in the kit. Don't know the cost difference between the single and double kits, but I'd be splurging on a double.

I'm glad I've got it because it is "working" flawlessly; no fingerprints, no slippage, no lifting, etc. If I had to decide knowing about the lack of warranty, I'm not sure what I'd do. FYI: Whitestone, according to their website, doesn't sell a two pack.

Upvote 0
Information, on a 2 pack, came directly from the installation video @ about the 28 second mark. Sure it's for a different phone, but it's the video that they show.

I certainly believe you and I don't mean to be argumentative. That may be another "glitch" in their system. In hindsight, they don't seem to be overly honest or up to date. I didn't see a 2 glass kit on their website or Amazon for our phone. I also don't remember finding an install video for our phone on their app. It is possible that I missed it, but the only install video I found for our phone was by an independent person. I think Whitestone had one for the G7. When I tapped on the install video link on the LG V40 page, it showed one for Galaxy Note 9. They are full of misleading crap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMPORTANT!
Please be aware that the Whitestone Screen Protector is NOT warrantied!
On 4-01-2019 I finally received a reply from them and this is it:
"Unfortunately, due to the lack of demand, we have ceased production of our LG line of products. In this case, we encourage the customer to contact their original merchant location to seek a refund if they are within the return/refund period."
So think twice before buying!

Reactions: maire5
Upvote 0
I sent them an email saying they should either stop selling the LG V40 screen protector or change the BS about the warranty. And since there is no warranty, they should lower the price. The ethical thing to do is make the changes on their own and not make me report them to Amazon and/or the Better Business Bureau. So far nothing.

Upvote 0
I debated whether to post this because I don't like the company. But their screen protector is excellent so here it is.
I received an email from them saying that their Android screen protectors are 50% off. They still say on the website that it has a lifetime warranty but I've already posted that they do not warranty the LG V40 protector. (I have their email that says so)
The question is, Do you pay $25 for an excellent screen protector that doesn't have a warranty? I've had their protector installed since early March and I haven't had one fingerprint. It has, so far, been an excellent protector and I'm debating whether or not to pay the $25 just to have a backup. If I hadn't already paid $50 for it, I would pay $25 because of the quality of the product. Before you do, remember, the company continues to lie about the warranty.
Here is part of the email:
Capture+_2019-04-18-12-16-01.png

The screen protector is at:
https://www.whitestonedome.com/product/lg-v40-dome-glass/
Remember, Buyer Beware!

Upvote 0
I've never put a screen protector on any of my phones, neither has the boss lady. She has only used her phones with minimal covers...me, I have always used a high protection (OtterBox Defender, now LoveMei) case, that included built in screen protectors. Neither of us have had any screen damage. My oldest daughter cracked a screen within 24 hours of picking it up.

$25.00 for what you described as a fantastic product?
First time purchase...yep, I'd buy.
2nd time purchase, to have a backup...I could go either way here.
2nd time purchase, to replace a broken protector... definitely no, especially if they expressidly say they no longer have the warranty.

My only consideration is the phone itself. Suppose the phone itself breaks and you get another V40? Now what?

Upvote 0
I've never put a screen protector on any of my phones, neither has the boss lady. She has only used her phones with minimal covers...me, I have always used a high protection (OtterBox Defender, now LoveMei) case, that included built in screen protectors. Neither of us have had any screen damage. My oldest daughter cracked a screen within 24 hours of picking it up.

$25.00 for what you described as a fantastic product?
First time purchase...yep, I'd buy.
2nd time purchase, to have a backup...I could go either way here.
2nd time purchase, to replace a broken protector... definitely no, especially if they expressidly say they no longer have the warranty.

My only consideration is the phone itself. Suppose the phone itself breaks and you get another V40? Now what?
If you can believe Whitestone, they say you can remove their screen protector from your phone and reapply it. They included enough adhesive and accessories to reapply it. I just don't know how that would work. I've always used a case and separate screen protector. But with each new phone, I'm finding it harder to buy a decent screen protector More companies are narrowing their production to IPhones & Samsung accessories & I'm not fond of either company.

Upvote 0
Checked the Whitestone site, today and saw a 50% off offer.
View attachment 141469

Clicked on the get deal button and found this...
View attachment 141470

Can't trust these folks.

You're correct, you can't trust them. But if you check out my above post that I took from their main page, they have a "sticker" with the discount code. It's "Easter50" and you add it at checkout. I tried it but chickened out before I hit "Pay". I can't decide whether to buy it or not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones