1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A headscratcher for you all..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jon_LTD, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

I've had my Nexus 7 for a couple of months now, and I've rooted it and installed the SmoothROM and all seemed to be fine until I wanted to access Titanium. Apparently my tab isn't rooted anymore and I do no have root permissions. This has just come out of nowhere and it's truly stumped me. :thinking:

I've tried using all the Nexus 7 toolkit options to re-root as it were (Rooting via fastboot and sideload in Recovery (CWM)) but it remains "unrooted". I'm hesitant to doing a full unroot then re-root process as I believe there must be an easier way of doing this.

Thanks all

Jon

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

I read another post a few days ago by a user of SmoothROM that said that a recent update of SuperSU had broken his root access. I use the stock ROM and the SuperSU update had no bad effect on my Nexus 7, but it seems that it may have been bad for SmoothROM users.

I notice that there have been two updates to SuperSU within days of each other so perhaps that is related to the problem you're having.

3. Visa Declined

Visa Declined Newbie

Just a couple of days ago I had a TB update that told me my tablet wasn't rooted or I may need to update SU. I went ahead and updated SU and then rebooted my tablet, everythings normal now.

4. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Android Enthusiast

i had the exact same thing happen to me.

i had to fix it by flashing a different ROM (PA2.99), and all was fixed again.

5. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Android Expert

Hi all

Thanks for all the input, and a little bit of research shows it may be indeed linked to the updated SuperSU app. I uninstalled all updates but this had no impact, so I took the plunge and and re-rooted and reflashed the rom, and everything seems to be working fine now.
    I guess it's quite lucky that I had backed up my apps & data a few days ago and I've not done anything too drastic since since the restore was quite painless. I was going to take the opportunity to flash the Paranoid Android rom, however I think I've had my fill of that as I've had it om my SGS3 for several months. As much as I do like it's versatility, I want to keep my tab and phone separate entities.

Slightly puzzling as this seems to be a recurring issue with the SuperSU app and certain roms losing root access. I hope this gets ironed out before long - but thanks for all your suggestions and thoughts. I'll be sure to keep you posted of any developments and I'm sure you'll see me posting in this neck of the woods in the future!

Jon