• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A hint for those with poor battery life or high awake times

Hemlox

Mar 9, 2010
Illinois
For those that suffer from poor battery life or high awake times, I was given a code to enter that will give you all kinds of hidden info about the battery and what programs are running in the background keeping the phone from sleeping. Hit phone, as if you were dialing a number to call, enter *#*#4636#*#*, then talk. You will seee a menu come up that you can change to show you all kinds of hidden info on the phone and battery. Hope this helps some of you that are suffering poor battery performance and high awake times.

There is MUCH more to this than listed above. For example, under phone information you can change stuff that impacts your battery life and other functions of your phone!

If you have a HUGE cell standby/Time Without Service number than changing information under this "hidden menu" would be beneficial (I have to do this each time I reboot).

If you are just curious, most of the information in this menu can also be found in the Spare Parts app.

Upvote 0
KELMAR WROTE (There is MUCH more to this than listed above. For example, under phone information you can change stuff that impacts your battery life and other functions of your phone!

If you have a HUGE cell standby/Time Without Service number than changing information under this "hidden menu" would be beneficial (I have to do this each time I reboot).

Kelmar, Please ellaborate a little more so that it can help us more.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I found that disabling Android's 'Account's and Sync - Autosync' feature from running all the time saves battery life big time.

I have an app called Tasker that can disable/enable 'Autosync' throughout the day. At first, I was enabling Autosync every two hours for 5 minutes between 6am and 10pm and experienced a battery life savings of about 15% over nine hours since I typically leave work now with 70% battery remaining instead of being in the mid 50's. However, I just set my Tasker Autosync profile to every four hours after I notice that I had inadvertently left my phone off the charger last night which after 10pm Autosync is never enabled, and after being unplugged since 8am yesterday my phone still has 40% battery remaining at 6am this morning. That's just 60% battery drain over 22 hours.

The only thing Autosync does for me is sync GMail contacts, Google calendar events, and HTC Hero's native Facebook events. I thought about it, and as long as any contact or calendar event I change syncs between the phone and Google or Google and the phone sometime throughout the day, that would be fine for me. I don't use the GMail app (hate conversation threading) so I don't have it syncing GMail since I use the HTC Mail app instead with hourly updates. I also don't use the infamous HTC Weather Clock widget since the Weather sync is tied to Android's Autosync feature. So, I'm using beautiful widgets instead with an hourly update.

So, there's something to battery life and using Android's native autosync for its intended purpose of 'instant push'. I would rather use 'text message alerts' and setting HTC Mail to a lower check interval time instead of using 'instant push' for things and save a bunch of battery life doing so.

Oh, and by the way, I have the Tasker app disable the timed Autosync profile I created and enable Autosync and leave it on anytime I'm plugged into power. And when I unplug from power, Tasker disables Autosync and re-enables the timed Autosync profile. What an APP!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones