• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Little Common Courtesy Please?

Sue7M3

Aug 13, 2011
Northeast US
thewriteadmin.com
I just had a post deleted and another edited and the mod couldn't be bothered to tell me why. I find this unacceptable. Someone in the fantasy football thread made a rude post in response to the fact the draft, which was scheduled for today, was rescheduled for a later date because many of us could not make it because of Hurricane Irene. (the post was not deleted or edited) He then left the league. All I did was say I was sorry he was too selfish and impatient to understand why it was rescheduled because he WAS. I don't wish what we went through with Hurricane Irene on anyone! It was a very scary and stressful time and I have every right to be offended by his complete lack of empathy and concern! My post was edited to remove those comments, which I feel completely justified. Then my post asking to be told why I was censored was deleted. I believe whoever did it should have PM'd me and told me why!

Edit: Hopefully Sue will see the edit'd by below in this post.

I just had a post deleted and another edited and the mod couldn't be bothered to tell me why. I find this unacceptable. Someone in the fantasy football thread made a rude post in response to the fact the draft, which was scheduled for today, was rescheduled for a later date because many of us could not make it because of Hurricane Irene. (the post was not deleted or edited) He then left the league. All I did was say I was sorry he was too selfish and impatient to understand why it was rescheduled because he WAS. I don't wish what we went through with Hurricane Irene on anyone! It was a very scary and stressful time and I have every right to be offended by his complete lack of empathy and concern! My post was edited to remove those comments, which I feel completely justified. Then my post asking to be told why I was censored was deleted. I believe whoever did it should have PM'd me and told me why!

As i said in the PM i sent you;) I am sorry you felt that way. Please know that it is NEVER ok to call people names on here, it doesn't matter how much YOU THINK it is true.

I didn't take the post in question the way you did but as has been explained to you before, if you have a problem with a post (or an action taken) the correct way to handle that is to !report the post:) <-- problem solved

Upvote 0
I couldn't do that because the edited post has NO info on who edited it or why. Here is a screenshot to prove it:

AFPost.png

Upvote 0
As i said in the PM i sent you;) I am sorry you felt that way. Please know that it is NEVER ok to call people names on here, it doesn't matter how much YOU THINK it is true.

I didn't take the post in question the way you did but as has been explained to you before, if you have a problem with a post (or an action taken) the correct way to handle that is to !report the post:) <-- problem solved
In case you missed it^
This is the meat of what I am trying to say
Well excuse me 330D. I didn't know I could PM any mod. Thought it had to be the mod that did it and I had no idea who it was. I apologize for my stupidity. Won't happen again.

No need to apologize for supposed stupidity. No one is calling you stupid. (that against the rules;))You are not stupid.
We at Android Forums hope EVERY user knows that you can PM ANY mod about ANYTHING ever. (or just use the report button as has been explained before)

Upvote 0
Well excuse me 330D. I didn't know I could PM any mod. Thought it had to be the mod that did it and I had no idea who it was. I apologize for my stupidity. Won't happen again.

Didn't say you were stupid;)

There is a lot going on here and sometimes it's tough to sort it all out. Mods are pretty much all knowing all seeing around here, so if you ever have a concern or question they are the go to guys (and gals.) Lord only knows how many times I have asked questions of them over the past few years....

Upvote 0
Didn't say you were stupid;)

There is a lot going on here and sometimes it's tough to sort it all out. Mods are pretty much all knowing all seeing around here, so if you ever have a concern or question they are the go to guys (and gals.) Lord only knows how many times I have asked questions of them over the past few years....
Disagree with that in bold:):p
Definitely not all-knowing:)
We are users here first and all of us are as human as the next:)
Huh, that's odd. I'm pretty sure the edit labels should be visible to everyone. Sue, do you see them in other places?

Like this post, it should say I edited it below my signature.

I know!! I thought user could see that. It explains TONS of times there was confusion over a edited post if that is the case

Upvote 0
Sue,

I understand your frustration. NA and I have talked on it, and he understands too. This job isn't easy by any stretch, believe you me - and he's doing his best to make the best choices, as all our staff does.

Any choice can be second guessed, and action taken in any situation can be peer-reviewed to no end.

Slosh's post was a bit insensitive. I agree with that. That said, if Irene were bad enough for a particular participant to warrant enough empathy, some might think they have bigger concerns than being waited on for FF.

I understand the stress you are under. I live in Nashville and was hit with the major flooding last year that went to the gutters of many houses in our neighborhood, and halfway up almost all of them. Mine was one of the few that was spared being on a good hill. My inlaws, 12 houses down, lived with us for the next six months while we did 100k worth of repairs on their house. Some people couldn't return nor afford to fix.

It was very stressful, I've never seen tensions like that in our family. So, I do feel you. Very much. However we have to try to keep our emotions in check, and yes he was a bit insensitive - but your better approach would have been to just report him and let the mods take it from there.

Do I think your reply should have been edited and just left at that? Eh, I might would have handled it slightly different and explained that to NA via PM. I'd have to review the full thread, etc, to give a public "this is what I would have done" reply though, and I'm hoping this can be settled before coming to that.

NA and I have talked, I gave him my thoughts on how to improve in the future, no infractions were handed out - I vote we consider this a learning experience for all and be done with it.

Hope you're doing ok over there. I have family on the east coast (Rob lives in Baltimore, too) so I was watching Irene all weekend. I hope, but assume, you guys did well.

p.s. As for the "edited by" thing, it was removed for premium users by request of them as a feature FOR them. So people couldn't see them editing their own posts. Sadly when I did it I did it in a way that NO edits show, by them or mods. I see this was a bad choice, and will revert it.

Upvote 0
Well, I can't even see it and I have a little more access than the average user...

And what I meant by all knowing was in regards to the hows and the whys of the way the forum works. Specifically the behind the scenes stuff. (and I know not totally all knowing, but man you guys sure are on it for the most part)

Upvote 0
Huh, that's odd. I'm pretty sure the edit labels should be visible to everyone. Sue, do you see them in other places?

Like this post, it should say I edited it below my signature.

Not a thing. Screenshot I just took proves it:

Edited post.jpg

Disagree with that in bold:):p
Definitely not all-knowing:)
We are users here first and all of us are as human as the next:)

I know!! I thought user could see that. It explains TONS of times there was confusion over a edited post if that is the case

Yup - we all are human. Mistakes happen.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The rules on whether or not edit tags show have been removed and put back to default, though I did move the position from just below signature to be more in line with the edit buttons, etc.

It will work as vb designed now.

Thanks!! I'm guessing thats what all the weird formatting I saw for last 10 minutes or so was about?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones