• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A little phone selection help - VZW

Johnny2Toes

Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
Hey everyone first time I've posted up here but I've lurked for awhile now. Similar to many other people I need to get a little bit of help with true phone performance and specs before I make my final decision before tiered data comes in.

I am currently using an LG Env Touch and have had no complaints about the phone at all, but it's time to upgrade.

In short, I have narrowed it down to the Droid Incredible 2 or the Droid 2 Global. Global is not necessary for me, just turns out that these are the 2 phones I like. I was trying to hold out for the Droid 3, but unlimited data is a must. Any info would help on a comparison of these phones.

The longer story:
I don't have any use for 4G or care to have to take out a loan for a new phone, so don't worry about those. I am looking for something around $150. I really like the full keyboard on the D2G, but would hate to think I'm spending the money on an already outdated phone.

After a lot of digging on the internet, I found that on most of the benchmarks the D2G can actually beat the DI2. When messing around with the DI2 I noticed the on-screen keyboard is actually very easy even with my fat fingers, and that is why I finally looked away from a slider. I was settled on the DI2 until today when I found some of the benchmarks, and now I am thinking more about the D2G again. The bad reviews of the battery life for the D2G have me worried as well, but I'm fine with charging once daily. Things like reception, battery life, and phone speed are what I am looking for.

Does anyone have extended use with both/either of these phones? I send about 5000 texts/mo and about 500 e-mails. I talk on my phone about an hour or so on a regular day. I would use it for moderate web surfing and have wifi almost everywhere I would use it.

Thanks everyone for your help!
-Ben

Ok - here's my 2 cents, and thats all it is - purely opinion.

I don't have the DI2, but I do have the original DInc. My mom has the Droid 2 Global. So I have worked with both phones extensively. Sense is much more user friendly to me. It's smoother on the touch screen than Motoblur. Motoblur can be a bit picky at times in it's ability to recognize what you are trying to do. The plus is that if you need a physical keyboard you have one with the Droid 2.

Motorola also gets updates before HTC in most cases. Not a huge factor for most people but worth a mention.

The DI2 also has a slightly wider grip, where the Droid 2 is thicker.

I use my phone all day long - have to charge at least once a day - sometimes twice if I decide I'm going to play games. The Droid 2 is usually once a day with moderate use. (My daughter can make either battery disappear in short time though due to a love of angry birds).

I'm not technical at all with the benchmarks and rooting so I can't help you on that. I do know that my brother also got the DI2 and has slightly wider fingers and does fine with the keyboard. One of the guys I work with has the Droid 2 (and fat fingers - per his own admission) and hates trying to type without the physical keyboard.

Basically it comes down to which one you are more comfortable with.

Hope I shed at least a little light on things for you. If not, sorry. :)

Upvote 0
You listed the pros and cons that are important to you very eloquently. I can tell you now, the Incredible's battery life will not be any better than the Droid 2. HTC makes great phones, but they are not known for their battery life. If need be, you can always grab an extended battery, or a battery pack. It will get better after rooting, after deleting bloatware and stuff. I just found out in settings that my "stocks" application updates whether I want it to or not. I never once looked at it. All I could do was set it to update daily instead of hourly.

Anyway, you already played with both phones, and you know what is most important to you. The decision on is ultimately yours. Also, you say you won't need a global phone, but who knows if travel is in your future.

Upvote 0
After a lot more research yesterday, I am basically trying to choose between a nice physical keyboard, or a nice skin (HTC Sense). I am not against rooting, just have never had a smartphone before and would need to do some research. If rooted I would no longer be using MotoBlur correct?[/QUOTE

I am not able to anwer inquiries about rooting and what it will do. Please Note: rooting a phone will cause the warranty to be null and void.

Thank you
Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones