1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A lot of signal problems today

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rushmore, Aug 21, 2012.

1. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Not seeing any posts, but I went from having decent to great reception with 4G to showing the same dBm and bars as before for 4G, but constant network connection errors. This is in spite of showing a good signal. Normally when this would happen, the 4G goes away and there is no connection.

Looks like ghost signal is still around. Slow speed or actual signal, in spite of "4G" showing with three bars and good dBm. The GS3 is lying right now. Also getting hot, just like when low signal situations.

Tried pulling the battery, etc. Same suck-level results. Hoping it is a local netwrok issue, since no connection or VERY slow, in spite of what the signal is showing.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Raftysworld

Raftysworld Well-Known Member

Same except thing was happening with my S3 from launch day. I actually ended up returning it... I've had no ghost signal issues with the RAZR Maxx since then.

It's a shame because i wanted to love it, but the signal made it difficult to use on a regular basis.

Is your GS3 still behaving like that today?

3. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Nope, but it was nuts from 10AM until later that evening. At work other folks with 3G and 4G VZW devices were fine. The one guy that did have a GS3 was ironically, earlier in the day when I was not using it. I noticed he was using his to tether for a presentation and he commented it was slow (weaker signal room for all carriers, so not a surprise).

I notice this issue happens perhaps once a week (if that). "Ghost signal" is a good description, since the dBm and bars show good signal, but the connection is either VERY slow, or fails and the device gets real warm to hot. Pulling the battery and restarting makes no difference.

This happened with the white 32gb with the first stock rom and now with the blue 32gb and the second stock rom. My GS3 is not rooted. I am used to this kind of weird stuff when I do root, but the GS3 is my first device ever with "ghost signal"- rooted or not.

My guess is it is a network area / GS3 combo issue. The radio seems to freak sometimes.

Added: Phone calls and texting are NOT affected during the "ghost signal" events.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews