• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A N00b trying to get Rooted

I have now found how to add the apps, I was thinking the shortcut menu that had applications on would be that shortcut (like the menu button on the bottom of the phone).

Just putting stuff back on my phone, where are the pictures stored when you take a picture from the camera? I look in the DCIM folder but nothing in there (I took a few test pictures). I can't seem to find the pictures anywhere

Upvote 0
Nice car, SUroot... :D

suroot-thumb.jpg

Upvote 0
Firstly double check menu>settings>Status> phone number is correct.

If it is not, you cant add your number on basic AOSP roms. You need to write it to the SIM card.

You could flash CM7 then go menu>Settings>Call settings>Additional settings>My phone number.

Put your number in and it should write it to sim, then redux will pick it up.

Then just set yourself up as a normal contact. It will link these 2 bits of information together.

Reactions: wyvilledog
Upvote 0
Firstly double check menu>settings>Status> phone number is correct.

If it is not, you cant add your number on basic AOSP roms. You need to write it to the SIM card.

You could flash CM7 then go menu>Settings>Call settings>Additional settings>My phone number.

Put your number in and it should write it to sim, then redux will pick it up.

Then just set yourself up as a normal contact. It will link these 2 bits of information together.

KMT Susan i didnt realise it wasnt an aosp feature.

Upvote 0
Sweeeet!

Job done, has recognised my contact straight away.

Just to clarify, if I was to put a new ROM on my phone, it’s best to wipe first but when using a Nand back up you don’t have to wipe? Or is the only reason I don’t have to wipe is because I had that ROM on there before?

I can understand that the Nand is exactly how I left it but why I didn’t need to wipe first I’m a bit confused by (sorry, just like to know how things work!)

Upvote 0
Your main 2 partitions are data and system.

System is Rom. Data is your apps and settings (specific to your Rom).

When you change Rom, the settings in data are incompatible with other Roms and cause issues so must be wiped.

You don't need to wipe when nandroid restoring because it is a complete snap shot of data and system (and cache) which during the restore process, formats those partitions anyway

Reactions: wyvilledog
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones