• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A new battery parameters detected

Vancefish

Lurker
Dec 11, 2013
My old Triumph USB port (charging) finally died a few months ago. I'd re-soldered the contacts 3-4 times over the couple of years since I broke it snagging the charger cord with my foot and yanking it across the room.

Anyway the contacts on the board were toast it seamed. So I accidentally broke, and then lost the little ribbon cable folding "lock" clip for the screen cable. I could charge the battery, but not see the screen.

So I bought a parts phone on ebay, and the girl never shipped. I got a refund, and failed to win three more broken screen phones (might as well make one good one right?). Finally I won and received a phone a few nights ago. It works fine, but both top corners of the screen are cracked. (My old screen is fine).

I removed that little clip under the microscope at work this morning. Installed it in my old phone and turned it on. It works, Starts, then gives these errors. "A new battery parameters detected" (telling me to plug in the charger). Then shuts off.

It then goes into a cycle of charging and not charging. Showing the battery graphic each round before re-starting.

I think I MAY try to remove the old bad USB all together. Maybe it's causing a short?? That main board will be trash after I get my lost contacts from that old phone.

"the contacts on the board were toast"

What happens is that every time you plug in the charger, when the connector isn't fully soldered in, there's a little spark (or a few thousand of them), carbonizing a tiny portion of the motherboard. Eventually you're left with a motherboard that's mostly fiberglass, but with one part that's charcoal.

Which is why you should NEVER wiggle a charger cord to get the phone to charge. One questionable connection and it's time to open the phone and make a permanent repair.

Oh, and if your contacts were entered under your email address (As they should be, not under "Phone"), they're in Google Contacts and the next motherboard, as soon as you put in that email address, will sync them back up. (Just delete the entire contacts list in the used motherboard you buy before you turn on mobile data or wifi.)

Upvote 0
The issue is that when you smash the charger plug into the charger port with great effort, you can rip the port clean off the motherboard and have to build your own traces with micro solder globs under the microscope.

If you do it over and over again for a few years??? Eventually there is no pad left to solder to at all.

So you buy another "parts" phone and try to use it's battery (and your own) to get the contact list that DIDN'T save on Google for some god awful reason (both show charged on the new phone). Just to have it say,...

A new battery parameters detected

,... So you STILL can't get the contacts (including that ONE girl's number you lost with them).

:)

Upvote 0
Removing the entire USB/Charger port didn't fix it. :-(

Still does the exact same thing. Starts, (does the Virgin mobile Jingle twice, once with logo, once with blackj screen). Makes a loud Error noise while the phone screen looks normal and says plug in charger. The top screen bar says "Avast is out of date" (so it remembers it's apps), then "a new battery parameters detected", then "Micro SD card can now be safely removed" then it shuts off.

I'm going to take the board out of the "new" phone and see if when comparing the two, I can see anything else on the card that may have changed. Who knows maybe I knocked a part off with the iron??

Upvote 0
Well, that didn't really work either. I don't see anything missing.

So, I put the two together the "for sale" way and everything works great. Starts right up and works correctly.

Unfortunately unless anyone knows how to hack into one of these phones memory, through the HDMI port? Or knows WHY my old phone would be doing this. I think I lost my contacts that didn't save. :-(

Upvote 0
I was wrong! Going to need a third parts phone.

There is a tiny part just behind the USB port, board contacts. Looks like a tiny black block. That part is missing on my old phone. :mad:

So, I guess I'll sell this perfectly good mix phone I built. Keep my old one with the cracked screen, and try to find another parts phone for that tiny black block.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones