1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A newbie question...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GomerBoy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. GomerBoy

GomerBoy Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2011
    Is it possible to just root my Epic and not flash any ROMS? If I just have my phone rooted with no ROMS flashed, will it be faster and have better battery life? :thinking: Thanks for the help.

Advertisement

Mrshortfin likes this.
  2. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    If I do the one click root, I will not have to flash any ROMS?

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    If you root your phone and leave it exactly as is (just rooted), it will not be any faster nor will it have better battery life.

There are a few one-clicks out there for the Epic. Which one exactly are you looking at (before I tell you that you don't need to flash a ROM)?

4. GomerBoy

None

May 30, 2011
    I really have no idea haha. :eek: I just really want to get my keyboard fixed (missing keystrokes), get rid of all the Sprint bloatware and improve battery life a little bit.

I was thinking about doing the one click root and then getting the patch for the keyboard from XDA.

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    Responding in other thread.

6. Mrshortfin

Mrshortfin Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2011
    Ok to start I did the z4root with cwm 3.5.0.1 I think when I first got the phone it installed superuser and something else on my phone the 2.2.1 froyo update was pushed (root gone) but superuser remained it would not delete then use adb to root my phone but it was stock rom (cool cool) but I went and downloaded the supernova rom the .ext not the .rfs I think that's where I ent wrong... well it came with a cwm 2.5.1 and being stupid I took all the steps to backup my phone (besides odin) and it is stuck now at boot first screen that pops up is gren cwm 2.5.1 and tried to flash when I went to install update.zip it reboots into a orange screen and tha is cwm 3.5.0.1 and I Did it there now it won't load or boot no custom roms no original it won't restore back to the settings before I tried I don't understand what I'm missing all these instructions sound so simple...... HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

7. icecold

icecold Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 31, 2009
    WI
    Try using a little punctuation next time... I am not aware of any 3.5.0.1 variant of CWM, at least not for the EPIC. Depending on which version of CWM you actually have, it will depend on what you need to do...

So, maybe if you post a link to which directions you followed, someone would be better able to answer your question.

But, as is, you could do one of two things:
    1) try flashing a RFS ROM in CWM
    2) use ODIN to flash back to stock, and use one of the OneClickRoot options versus z4root.