• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Newbie's Best Friend: Rooting and Flashing Step by Step Guide

I never rooted a cell phone before. I have a LG Esteem with MetroPCS. I have Windows 7.
After I plug my phone into my computer, I see the icon "Safely remove hardware and eject media" but I don't see the "USB Connected" notification. And if I click on it, I see "LG Android USB Device" but I don't see "Internet Mode", is it OK ?
Then after running Root_n_RecoveryAIO.bat , what option should I use ? 1 (Root), or 2 (Root and CWM Recovery) or 3 (Root and RZ recovery 2.1.4-esteem) ?
I prefer to ask before taking the risk of running the wrong option.

Upvote 0
I never rooted a cell phone before. I have a LG Esteem with MetroPCS. I have Windows 7.
After I plug my phone into my computer, I see the icon "Safely remove hardware and eject media" but I don't see the "USB Connected" notification. And if I click on it, I see "LG Android USB Device" but I don't see "Internet Mode", is it OK ?
Then after running Root_n_RecoveryAIO.bat , what option should I use ? 1 (Root), or 2 (Root and CWM Recovery) or 3 (Root and RZ recovery 2.1.4-esteem) ?
I prefer to ask before taking the risk of running the wrong option.

After you plug your phone into the computer pull down the status bar and you'll see a usb notification. Tap it. It'll then take you too a screen with 3 options. Charge only, mass storage and Internet click the Internet mode then run the file that was stated that you downloaded

Upvote 0
Sorry, I looked at the status bar on my PC, instead of on my phone.

After running Root_n_RecoveryAIO.bat , what option should I use ? 1 (Root), or 2 (Root and CWM Recovery) or 3 (Root and RZ recovery 2.1.4-esteem) ?
I have a LG Esteem that I want to root for the first time in my life, that's why I don't know the details of each option.

Upvote 0
How To Root And Flash Clockwork Recovery All At Once-

Download the CWR AIO from the All Things Root section (The Forum you are in) You can find direct links to it in the All Things Root Guide that is stickied at the top of this forum.

Thanks to
PlayfulGod and mtmichaelson they have made it very simple and easy to root and flash Clockwork Recovery all in one shot. Here's the How to step by step:

1- Download CWR onto your computer

2- After downloaded, right click and select "Extract" and extract the file.

3- Once extracted, on your phone go to Settings>Applications>Development and check the box next to "USB Debugging"

4- Then plug your phone into your computer and pull down the status bar and press the "USB Connected" notification and select "Internet Mode" and hit OK

5- Open the CWR file you extracted. Once you are in the file, double click "cwm_windows_install.bat" if you are using Windows or if you have Linux double click "cwm_linux_install.sh"

Now a black window will pop up and a bunch of stuff will run. Just let it do its thing and your phone will reboot and you will be not only be rooted but will have CWR flashed to your phone.

To reboot the easiest way download Quick Boot (Reboot) free off the Android Market. Open the app and select "Reboot into Recovery"

-----> Where do I find the CWR download. I downloaded it form the play market on my phone...Is that what I was suppose to do?

Upvote 0
Are you trying to install cwm recovery?(That's if you are rooted)

If you are then go to the play store and search for ROM Manager. Wait for it to install then open it up. Select "Flash CkockworkMod Recovery" a pop up will come up with different phone names. Search for one that is called "LGE Esteem" select it and wait till its done flashing.

Upvote 0
I have one last question
How do you know if your computer has the LG abd drivers installed onto your computer?

I think the AIO comes with that too :eek:

Can someone PLEEEASE HELP ME!! I am a rookie at the rooting game but I have unlocked my GNex for VZW and downloaded the required ROM's...The problem is I don't have a root folder showing up in my C: drive on the computer to put the ROM in. Can someone please help me...Thanks

You put the ROM on your sd card for flashing sir. :)
Is that what you were asking about?
Btw welcome to AF Hulk313! :)

Upvote 0
problem.jpg

Its stuck here!

Upvote 0
It is still doing the same thing and my protection is cut all the way off.

The phone is on internet connection and usb debugging is turned on?

In the root instal folder you downloaded, double click the adb. application to make sure its running and try again.

The phone is going to reboot 2-3 times when the process actually starts so dont be alarmed if the phone reboots.

Upvote 0
Hey, guys. Last weekend, I rooted for the first time my Nexus 7. Not mention, I almost bricked it but pushed original files back into it before the battery drained. I'm lucky. Now I want to root my Esteem but unlike my new Nexus 7, I have a lot more things on it like contacts, photos and videos from the past I want to back up.

So before I do anything, can one of you guys point me to the instructions for how to backup my contacts and all before I root? I'm sure it's staring at me in the face but I just want to make sure not wipe all my data before rooting.

Upvote 0
Are your contacts synced to your google account? If they are then you can go to a contact and if they have a "g" then they are. If you want to play it safe than you can go to contacts and press the menu soft key. Go to more>import/export>export to sd card.
It'll make a .vcf file with all your contacts that you can put on your computer along with videos and photos you want to keep too.

By the way root wont delete your contacts ;) or anything sd card related. Apps, messages, and contacts get deleted(unless you made a backup too) when you flash a rom not root. :)

Reactions: ChrisToPhenom
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Alright, somethings wrong. Twice I've used the cwm_windows_install.bat and followed this guide's instructions.

"
Now a black window will pop up and a bunch of stuff will run. Just let it do its thing and your phone will reboot and you will be not only be rooted but will have CWR flashed to your phone." Root Explorer won't let me delete the MyExtras app and Rom Manager says I'm not rooted. No way! Is there something in this black screen that doesn't look right?

Untitled.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones