• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root a NON ad-hoc wifi tether

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Droid X has a wifi chip that will transmit, hence the "hotspot" feature that's been advertised. And since it's advertised, it's built into the kernel so it shouldn't take much to activate it with root.

I don't have my DX yet but was going to paw through the market apps to find out if one of them activated the hotspot after root.

Upvote 0
The Droid X has a wifi chip that will transmit, hence the "hotspot" feature that's been advertised. And since it's advertised, it's built into the kernel so it shouldn't take much to activate it with root.

I don't have my DX yet but was going to paw through the market apps to find out if one of them activated the hotspot after root.

that was my assumption as well. I guess the real issue is taht no one has written an app to mimic the version/moto hotspot app.

Maybe the released kernel code will give any idea how to turn it on/use it?

I wonder if someone is building this...

Upvote 0
Hi Folks

Is there anyway to force Barnacle or Wifi-Tether to not utilize ad-hoc for its network sharing ability? The 3G mobile hotspot app does not create an ad-hoc network and I have a system that I use on the road for business that will NOT connect to ad-hoc networks and there is no forseen capability for this system to connect to an ad-hoc network.

Thanks

If you go to google and type in android wifi tether it will bring you to the site to download wifi apk. Download the latest verison and install on your phone. After installing open the apk then click menu then setting. Click on change device profile and chose your phone. Next go to change set-up method and chose netd(master). Then close out the setting and start the wifi. This will create a mobile access point that is not an adhoc and you will be able to connect your tabs to the phone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones