• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A perspective on specs

I couldn't agree more, and I think this is something that has really held Android back from being utilized more by businesses.

Couldn't agree more. We get people that try em out and then turn em back in cause they're not 100% reliable. It's generally the running apps that are causing it that most people don't even know to check. Android HAS to improve this. Hopefully, if Yoda is right, the Bionic will be the answer.

Upvote 0
and that's where 'to each his own' comes in..

It's all about perspective and personal opinion. You find the 'bloat' so bothersome that you're willing to overlook a phone due to its presence where I've never rooted my phone nor has any of the bloat ever really bothered me. I just don't use it.

Funny though because on a laptop, I can't stand bloatware and the first thing I do is wipe it and load a fresh OS without all the crapware. lol Not sure why the phone bloat doesn't bother me in the same manner.

Personally I can't wait for the Bionic to drop yet either way, I'm excited for everyone because it seems there are phones to suit most everyone's taste coming in the very near future.

Upvote 0
Verizon does not want to combat the iPhone. Before the iPhone came to Verizon they did, but now the iPhone is one of Verizon's greatest allies. Verizon does not care one bit about any phone beating any other phone as long as they sell as many of them as they can.....

You're right, Verizon has no reason to combat the iPhone. I think what I meant to say is that Verizon wants to put something out there that, in essence, combats the iPhone in the sense that it offers a different option for those who just aren't interested in Apple's product.

I know a bunch of people who are not phone geeks in any sense of the word, yet they prefer an Android handset to the iPhone because of the bigger screens, 4g speed, etc. Verizon is going to want to put something out there that will mop up the customers who want a new and awesome phone, but just don't want the iPhone.

Is the Bionic that device? I think that by itself, the Bionic blows the iPhone out of the water, except probably for the screen. But the general feeling out on the web is that Verizon passed on the SGSII, not because of the Bionic coming out, but because of something coming down the pipeline.

And you are absolutely right about the fact that rumored phones will always be better than what is physically on the shelves. There's no doubt about that. I know full well that as soon as the Prime is announced officially, we'll be hearing rumors (and will probably have some shreds of evidence) of even better devices coming from Motorola, etc.

I think that the question a lot of us have is, which phone will I be most comfortable with for the next two years? And that's a question that will be answered differently by a lot of people. It doesn't make the other choice bad. I've never made any statement along the lines of "Bionic sucks" or "Bionic is going to be crappy". I think it is an awesome phone based on what I've seen, and I'm very jealous that a lot of people are going to get the phone they want in just about a week. Nothing wrong with either phone.

Reactions: xmr405o
Upvote 0
everyone seems to be commenting that verizon would have no reason to combat iphone sales but my impression has always been that they would in fact want to pit one of their phones against it specifically because it WASNT coming to verizon. at least not right away anyway. and if you think about it, seeing as it mostly likely wouldn't be packing an LTE radio anyway this seems to make a lot of sense that only the other networks with solid 3g would be getting first dibs at it. i mean verizon 3g is painful to use.

Upvote 0
I say that passing up the SGSII was not to battle the iPhone, nor because of the Prime (alone). It was because it was smack dab in the middle of the Bionic launch, to which they had committed, and the Prime launch.

I was one of the first ones trying to decide between a Bionic and SGSII. Even now, with my post about the colors looking too intense for my liking, I'd take stock and verify the Bionic is really what I want over the SGSII if that were coming to VZW next month.

It's not just the Prime, and it's not just the iPhone killer - it's all about continuity of sales.

Throw in three hot phones back to back to back, and you'll have the first or second one doing poorly as ppl either flock to the first and / or wait for the third. Spread them out a bit, and you'll have more folks like me who need to upgrade sooner rather than later and opt for the Bionic, and the ones that would normally have gotten the SGSII getting the Prime instead.

I guarantee this also - if the Bionic had launched earlier in the year, VZW would have pushed for an exclusive early launch of the SGSII so that there would be enough time between it and the launch of the Prime so that continuity of sales would be high.

No phone company wants one phone that is the best phone - they want continued, repeat sales. They want tens of thousands, even hundreds of thousands buying both phones, not everyone waiting for just the Prime and ignoring both the Bionic and SGSII.

Think about it carefully. It makes perfect sense - b/c it's what really drives business. not just the one big sale, but the lifetime of repeat sales.

Reactions: dr01d3tte and jroc
Upvote 0
Seeing that it is CDMA narrows it down to Verizon and Sprint.

Seeing that Verizon decided to say "No" to the SGS2 makes it really arguable that the Prime will go to Verizon.

It's obviously insane to all of us that Verizon would completely pass on the SGS2 while all other carriers are getting it. I'm sure Verizon didn't make this decision as a mistake but because there's a better phone coming soon to replace it. It would be nice for Verizon to have the Google flagship phone seeing that it has far more subscriber numbers than Sprint.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still probably going to get the Droid Bionic when it releases. I really can't stand my BB9930 and must get it replaced with this. I just hope that there will be some reviews out soon so I have a better idea of if I should get this at release.

Upvote 0
Seeing that it is CDMA narrows it down to Verizon and Sprint.

Seeing that Verizon decided to say "No" to the SGS2 makes it really arguable that the Prime will go to Verizon.

It's obviously insane to all of us that Verizon would completely pass on the SGS2 while all other carriers are getting it. I'm sure Verizon didn't make this decision as a mistake but because there's a better phone coming soon to replace it. It would be nice for Verizon to have the Google flagship phone seeing that it has far more subscriber numbers than Sprint.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still probably going to get the Droid Bionic when it releases. I really can't stand my BB9930 and must get it replaced with this. I just hope that there will be some reviews out soon so I have a better idea of if I should get this at release.
Agree, passing up on the hottest selling Android phone of all time wasn't just a willy nilly decision.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones