• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A piece of advice required

personinneed

Jun 21, 2011
Hello all,

I am badly in need of a particular app which is not avaialable in the Indian version of Android market but in other countries(I have no idea know why!)
When i Googled it i found that it is available for download in torrents for free.

I'm pretty sure its a paid app.But it is available for free download (.apk) in torrents

I need your advice about it.Should i download it or not?

Is it safe to do so? I know that i cant update it anymore.Anymore problems i should me aware of??

Especially viruses n all..

Any help is appreciated..Thx!

I never trust the torrents. They are a breeding ground for nastiness. Offering a paid app for free is a red flag for a malware delivery vector.

The second and probably more important reason not to download a paid app from a free site is that it's stealing from the developer.

Can you not contact the developer directly and purchase the app that way?

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I never trust the torrents. They are a breeding ground for nastiness. Offering a paid app for free is a red flag for a malware delivery vector.

The second and probably more important reason not to download a paid app from a free site is that it's stealing from the developer.

I totally agree with you on the second reason.This is the only reason i deleted applanet from my phone when my friend installed it a long time ago.

I already tried contacting him last week but he didnt reply yet

And what exactly do u mean by malware.I'm a noob here

Is there a way to detect malware and any other dangers if i use that apk instead.I just need that one app.I have already bought many apps and am happy with that

Upvote 0

QFT.

What's the name of the app? Via the market website, there's normally a developers website listed somewhere on the app page. They may offer some way of purchasing the app on there.

Upvote 0
The problem with a lot of malware is that it designed to look like a perfectly legitimate app to the malware scanners, especially if you've given it permission and access, which by installing a suspect .apk file you did. You can try Lookout Security, but it's no guarantee.

Thx for the info.But i guess i wont take that risk

n btw i found out that the app is not compatible with my phone

Also the app i found in a torrent was a different app.

My problem is solved.Thread can be closed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones