• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A possible cause of the 50% signal issue with 2.1

Loaded it here at home (Bay Area, CA) where I usually get 1-2 bars consistently, never any trouble with 3g or phone calls. No change in bars for me, reception is still fine and 3g works well.

I would think this would work well for people that live in an area that Alltel was big before the merge......I don't think Alltel was much of a, if at all, player here in CA. I don't think there are any different towers for my phone to get signal from?

Upvote 0
Sorry - newbie here. Have the updated 2.1 on my Eris. I'm choosing Folder=SD Card, Type=prl files (.prl). Then I get a blank box that I think it wants me to put something in and then OK/Cancel. Nothing below the keyboard.

I'm assuming this is where I'm suppose to name the file? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You have to minimize the keyboard, then you will see the file you need to click. The keyboard is hiding what you seek!

Upvote 0
Somewhat related... My wife and I got our Erisii at the same time, i did the latest 2.1 leak and she is still stock 1.5. She has a later PRL than me and I've retried both phones multiple times. I have 51827 and I think she has 51832 or something in that neighborhood. Does the PRL updater provide particular PRLs for certain Radio versions?

I donno, i've noticed this too though, my girlfriends phone has a PRL in the 40 and my moms has one in the 50s both on verizon in the same location after a 228, so i have no idea what it's based off of to get those numbers.

And thank you all for testing this PRL but from the many people that says it hasnt inproved anything i claim this test a dud lol maybe soon we will get this fixed! or at least get a OTA in this lifetime.

Upvote 0
I tried this out and the 50% issue is still there for me. Still same number of bars, too. I had to change my keyboard from Swype to the stock keyboard cuz I couldn't get swype to minimize in order to select the PRL.

Time to hit *22899

Thanks for the effort, though.

The 50% bug is a separate issue and will remain after trying this PRL but there is a possibility that if you live in an Alltel area, you could get better roaming preferences. I'm going to give it a try since I live in the southeast. Will report back.

Upvote 0
At school I went from full to two or three bars which is shitty but the true test will be when I get back to my apartment because that's where i have to jump and move around to send texts cuz I have no service.. In always holding my phone out the window to send mms.. if this doesnt help me is there a easy way of going back to the old .prl file?

Upvote 0
At school I went from full to two or three bars which is shitty but the true test quill be when I get back to my apartment because that's where i have to jump and move around to send texts cuz I have no service.. In always holding my phone out the window to send mms.. if this doesnt help me is there a easy way of going back to the old .prl file?

yes, dial *228 and press option 2

Upvote 0
I'm in montana where att acquired alltel. I imagine I WOULD incur roaming charges if I loaded this.

Keep in mind that verizon did not acquire alltel in areas where att doesn't have any towers.

A PRL doesn't lock you out from using a tower. It simply sets an order of preference for when you are roaming. So, I don't think that you'll be charged roaming charges regardless.

Within the US, are there still roaming charges? I have traveled the nation pretty extensively and have never been charged even when my phone has said, "Roaming".

Upvote 0
A PRL doesn't lock you out from using a tower. It simply sets an order of preference for when you are roaming. So, I don't think that you'll be charged roaming charges regardless.

Within the US, are there still roaming charges? I have traveled the nation pretty extensively and have never been charged even when my phone has said, "Roaming".

I asked verizon a few weeks ago becuase i'm connected to US CELLULARS towers (out of verizon coverage) about roaming and they said roaming charges is no longer in the US but international packages still are needed unless you want to be charged a nice penny.

Upvote 0
I asked verizon a few weeks ago becuase i'm connected to US CELLULARS towers (out of verizon coverage) about roaming and they said roaming charges is no longer in the US but international packages still are needed unless you want to be charged a nice penny.

I was thinking that US roaming charges were from the days of old. One thing that used to be an issue is that a carrier would drop you if you roamed off of a tower more than, say 40% of the time. I'm not sure if this has been discontinued as well.

Upvote 0
I tried it out here, near atlanta, GA.. Didn't seem to help at all, the bars stayed the same, but "Verizon Wireless" left the lock screen :-/ I ran a speed test online using PdaNet to tether my phone.. and it was downloading at 1.5 mbps as opposed to my usual PRL which was downloading at 2.03 mbps...

*228 and went back to original way..

I bet this would be helpful for some though, in places where Alltel was big :)

Upvote 0
I tried this, this morning and I noticed increased signal. I also stay solid on 3G. Now that I'm at work I really noticed a difference. I went from 1 bar to 3 bars. It also dosen't bounce back and forth between 1X and 3G near as often. I live in northeast Oregon. Thanks for the tip I'm glad I saw this this morning. Oh yeah time without cel is 0%

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones