1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A primer for modifying framework-res.apk?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CJP, Jul 21, 2011.

1. CJP

CJP Lurker
    None

Dec 24, 2009
    I've been trying to make a couple of modifications to framework-res.apk and I've been having a lot of trouble. I've bootlooped the DX2 more than a few times (and was able to recover with the recently released SBF).

I've tried making one change, I've tried signing the file, I've tried not signing it, I've tried different compression levels on the zip, all with no luck. The one time I got my apk into the phone with my change on board (I verified that it was there) my change was ignored by the phone. (I've been trying to replace /res/drawable-hdp/zz_moto_list_texture_bg.png to change the default list background from the light gray to black.)

Has anyone been successful making modifications to this file in a DX2? If so, how did you do it?

What did program did you zip it with?
    What was the compression set to?
    Did you sign the file? If so, with what program and key?
    What method did you use to drop framework-res.apk back into the phone?
    Are there any files that should not be modified? (I've heard to leave the ".9" files alone.)

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisement

2. hajabooja

hajabooja Member
    None

Nov 26, 2009
    I was trying to change the animation transitions inside the framework-res.apk and I got no where. I was able to replace the files with no problem, but still had the odd out-in animation from blur.

3. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert
    None

Oct 24, 2009
    Project Manager
    Southern California
    I haven't tried yet on my X2. I used to do it all the time on my OG Droid. Maybe I'll play around this weekend.