• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A question about 3D

partridge

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2010
Am I right to assume that the 3D effect on phones such as the HTC Evo 3D can only be recorded and viewed when the phone is in landscape?

So it would be pointless to take a photo/video in portrait because it will not be possible to view it in 3D because of the way the screen works?

Just curious. Not that it's a problem as a 3D photo taken in landscape can be cropped if necessary. I hope some simple video editing software becomes available for Android soon.

One other question on 3D; does anyone know if the 3D used in these devices is a universal format that can be played on standard 3D tv's? For instance if I had a 3D tv, I could record a 3D video on my phone, transfer it to a PS3 and play it back for viewing on a 3D tv?

Thanks!

Am I right to assume that the 3D effect on phones such as the HTC Evo 3D can only be recorded and viewed when the phone is in landscape?

Correct, as thats how the lenses are laid out.

So it would be pointless to take a photo/video in portrait because it will not be possible to view it in 3D because of the way the screen works?

It wont work because of the way the lenses are laid out. And you shouldnt be taking video in portrait anyway. Video is meant to be widescreen, i.e. horizontal. You dont see tv's in people's houses up and down in portrait.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones