• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A question about bluetooth voice dialing outside North America

Hello all,

I've done a fair bit of searching about this but so far all I've been able to find have been completely understandable outrage at HTC pulling Bluetooth voice dialing from the 2.2 update outside North America. Maybe my Google-Fu is weak but I have tried.

So, having just seen the 2.2 update available from my carrier (T-Mobile UK) I'm left with a few questions I'd like to ask before I go ahead with the update.

Firstly, have HTC actually removed the Bluetooth dialing capability from the OS entirely or just switched it off somehow?

In either case, is it currently or likely to be possible to add the function back in or switch it on again?

If I upgrade to 2.2 now am I basically stuck there and unable to do any root/custom stuff until someone figures out how to root the thing or is it not as clear cut as that?

Further to that, if I'm going to be pretty much stuck with whatever HTC decide to allow me to have (grr!) would I be better off just rooting the phone pre-update and going the custom route (not something I'm really in a hurry to do, to be honest, but I will if it's the only way to get Bluetooth voice dialing) or waiting to see if someone comes up with a way to get it back, much like they did with voice search and voice to text under 2.1?

I honestly don't see why HTC have pulled the feature for us Old-World types. Sure it might be designed for North American accents but I'm more than capable of learning how to speak to a machine in order to make myself understood.

Here's hoping it's a matter of flicking a switch somewhere.

I love the phone under 2.1 and I'm sure it will only get better with 2.2 but I've been waiting with baited breath for the Bluetooth dialing and was not best pleased when I heard it wasn't to be a while back.

So, worth upgrading now? Or should I wait a while and see if someone smarter than me figures a way to get it back and then make my update accordingly?

I look forwards to hearing your input on this.

Cheers folks.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones