• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A question before I look into rooting......

Bully74uk

Apr 21, 2010
Wiltshire, UK
I Have a Desire running 2.2 and HBoot .93.

The phone came as a stock Vodafone UK unit and because I was too impatient to wait for Vodafone to release 2.2 I debranded it (using gold card method) in order to get the 2.2 OTA upgrade early.

I am now starting to research the root method as im fed up with low internal memory and would like to try some custom roms etc.

Does it matter that I debranded the phone when rooting using unrevoked3 or is the process the same for all ?

The SD card thats in my phone is not the gold card, I used a spare SD to create the gold card (which I still have if its required)

The rooting process seems straight forward enough I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to have the gold card from debranding in the phone whilst rooting.

Cheers.

If you've used unrEVOked then you're already rooted so don't know what you're asking??

Double root?

Sorry guys but as the title says "a question before i look into rooting" I thought it was clear enough that I haven't rooted yet :thinking:

My question again hopefully in simpler terms is:

Im going to root using unrevoked3, does it make any difference to the root procedure that I debranded the phone using the gold card method and do I need have the gold card in the phone when I run unrevoked3 ?

I dont think it makes any difference but thought id check first.

Upvote 0
the root method is the same for all gsm devices regardless of branding or not.
gold card is a good thing to have incase of any hiccups but you should be fine.
you can install a2sd seperately but if you are rooting it will be easier to go a custom rom root that has a2sd ready to go once youve partition your sdcard.

teppics init.d stock rom is a good start as you can add a2sd to it via flashable zip
or you can jump straight to a full custom rom

Reactions: Bully74uk
Upvote 0
the root method is the same for all gsm devices regardless of branding or not.
gold card is a good thing to have incase of any hiccups but you should be fine.
you can install a2sd seperately but if you are rooting it will be easier to go a custom rom root that has a2sd ready to go once youve partition your sdcard.

teppics init.d stock rom is a good start as you can add a2sd to it via flashable zip
or you can jump straight to a full custom rom

I thought that might be the case, thanks for confirming.

Upvote 0
Before rooting, though, go to Settings>About phone>Software information and make a note of the Software version. Once you've got the version number, go to this site and see if there is a file matching your Desire:

Shipped ROMs

If there is a file matching the version on your phone download it and keep it safe as you can use it to unroot for warranty purposes

Upvote 0
Before rooting, though, go to Settings>About phone>Software information and make a note of the Software version. Once you've got the version number, go to this site and see if there is a file matching your Desire:

Shipped ROMs

If there is a file matching the version on your phone download it and keep it safe as you can use it to unroot for warranty purposes

He was originally Vodafone. As far as I can tell there is only a 2.1 RUU?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones