1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

A question for an app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by johkaz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. johkaz

johkaz Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi,

I am a new phone user who has just obtained a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, which has something called Gingerbread as an operating system. And i am wondering if there is an app (prefrerably free) that will allow me to add up the hours and minutes of the tasks that i carry out at work?

Because the company has just brought in a new form, where we have to add up all of the time in hours and minutes, to cover our time at work. I along with others are certain that we are getting our time right, so that the time when added up covers our shifts for the day. But, we are sure that somehow when the times are added into the company computers by the data clerks, there is something going wrong. Because for last month i have been told that i am 26 hours short in the work i have done.

So i am wondering if there is an app that can work out the following as an example?

Train Preperation - (40 minutes each) - x 5

Extra work -

Work One - 20 minutes

Work Two - 1 hour 15 minutes

Work Three - 15 minutes

Work Four - 15 minutes

Work Five - 10 minutes

Work Six - 25 minutes

And on top of all of this, the time left over after has to be worked out so that we have 'down time'. So that in an 11 hour shift we can show, were our time has been used to actually do work, and where we have been avaliable as 'down time'.

The problem as i can see it is, that we as the staff are working out our time as hours and minutes added up. But the time put in on the company computers is done as digital entries. So we are sure that somewhere it is going wrong, even before you take into account the human errors in the data clerks entries.

Gary

Advertisement

2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Android Expert
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Male
    Process Engineer
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I have seen this type of thing before. You turn in 1 hr 25 minutes for Work One and the clerk that enters it enters 1.25 hours. You have just been shorted 10 minutes. The last place I worked the hourly folks went through the same crap and management was pointing fingers trying to understand why everybody has so much unutilized time.

There are time card apps in the app store. I have not had the need to use one, but I have heard other talk about them. Do some searching on the Google Play Store and you should be able to find something.

Good luck with the time keeping. It can be very annoying when you know you are doing things right and they are always perceived as wrong.

BigRedGonzo

johkaz likes this.
  3. johkaz

johkaz Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, and with the time input, i am sure is exactly what is happenning. Because i used to do the data input for a while in the office, and i suspected that this was going on.

As 1 hour 25 minutes should be entered as 1.41, but as you say if the clerk reads what is put down, they will then enter 1.25 which cheats me out of 10 minutes.

I will have another look at the apps, to see if i can find one that will keep track of my hours.

Gary

4. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    Are you required to submit your time sheet as "1 hour 25 minutes" or could you submit "85 minutes" (and could the clerk enter "85" in the minutes field and have it work right)?

5. johkaz

johkaz Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi,

The time that we are expected to put down on the sheets are as follows.
    As there is only the empty boxes for us to put in the totals for each section

Train Preperation - (40 minutes each) - x 5 - write down - 3 hours 20 minutes

Train Checks - (10 minutes each) - x 7 - write down - 1 hour 10 minutes

Work One - 20 minutes

Work Two - 1 hour 15 minutes

Work Three - 15 minutes

Work Four - 15 minutes

Work Five - 10 minutes

Work Six - 25 minutes

The above work from One to Six is added up and written down as 2 hours 25 minutes

Then the times of 3 hrs 20 mins + 1 hr 10 mins + 2 hrs 25 mins are added up = 6 hours 55 mins

Which should leave 4 hours 5 minutes as downtime (from an 11 hour shift)

The entries that the data clerk has to then put in is in the digtal format, which they have to work out based on the times above

Gary

6. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    So could you do this instead? It would prevent the error that we're discussing without having to make so much effort and use an app, but I don't know if it would be compatible with the systems or if it would be allowed.

Train Preperation - (40 minutes each) - x 5 - write down - 200 minutes

Train Checks - (10 minutes each) - x 7 - write down - 70 minutes

Work One - 20 minutes

Work Two - 75 minutes

Work Three - 15 minutes

Work Four - 15 minutes

Work Five - 10 minutes

Work Six - 25 minutes

The above work from One to Six is added up and written down as 145 minutes

Then the times of 200 mins + 70 mins + 145 mins are added up = 415 mins

johkaz likes this.
  7. johkaz

johkaz Newbie
    None

Jul 24, 2013
    Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, but i think the method you have mentioned about the minutes, would possibly cause more problems. Since i know through the training i had as a data clerk, it is easier to work in the hours and minutes format.

As a data clerk:

With an amount of say 2 hours and 35 minutes, i always put in the amount as say 2 hours, and then the digital conversion for the minutes.

As an employee with the managers, they like to see at a glance on the form how many hours we have worked. Hence the working out as shown above. So if it is in either the minute or the digital format on the form, it creates even more problems for myself.

I have found an app on Google Play that may do what i want, as i can start with say 11 hours. Then from that i can remove both the minutes and hours from that working backwards. So that i end up with the final downtime figure.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.senecacreeksoftware.timecalculator

Gary