• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A question I hate to ask... should I root?

FWIW - I'm going to root. I want my root-only apps working already. Cachemate, Root Explorer, ROM Manager (though it really can't do jack yet), TiBu, and a few others....

Messenger13 posted that with root you can remove the native Swype app and then install the latest beta refresh for a smoother experience....

Yeah. Swype is already great. I thought I'd hate it, but it's superb.

Pleasseee someoneeee maakeee an SBFFFFF

Upvote 0
Yeah. Swype is already great. I thought I'd hate it, but it's superb.

Pleasseee someoneeee maakeee an SBFFFFF

I really want to root mine when I get it so I can restore data on some apps. What are the chances of something like this bricking the phone?

Also, on average, how long does it take for a working SBF to show up?

Guys,

I think .SBF files are obtained rather than created (probably from someone on the inside at Verizon who obtains the .SBF file that is used to recover soft-bricked phones).

I'm guessing this is because they are signed (by Moto)...if they weren't signed, then it would have been possible to simply create an .SBF file that could be used to replace the bootloader, kernel, etc. for all the Motorola phones.

It probably is just a matter of time before the usual sources (whoever they are, LOL) snag a copy and post it up somewhere for everyone's benefit.

Cheers!

Reactions: bigbabys
Upvote 0
Guys,

I think .SBF files are obtained rather than created (probably from someone on the inside at Verizon who obtains the .SBF file that is used to recover soft-bricked phones).

I'm guessing this is because they are signed (by Moto)...if they weren't signed, then it would have been possible to simply create an .SBF file that could be used to replace the bootloader, kernel, etc. for all the Motorola phones.

It probably is just a matter of time before the usual sources (whoever they are, LOL) snag a copy and post it up somewhere for everyone's benefit.

Cheers!

Yeah, that is what I meant.

How about:

SOMEONEEE LEEAAAK AN SBFFF

I know how SBFs work. Been around the block many times.

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Guys,

Cheers!

In my defense, I simply asked how long they take to "show up" :D But, I learned something new because before that I had no idea where an SBF came from, I just coincidently worded it right haha.

But in a more serious note, how about the first half of my post? Do I pose a substantial risk to my phone by rooting + using TIBU to restore some app data?

Upvote 0
In my defense, I simply asked how long they take to "show up" :D But, I learned something new because before that I had no idea where an SBF came from, I just coincidently worded it right haha.

But in a more serious note, how about the first half of my post? Do I pose a substantial risk to my phone by rooting + using TIBU to restore some app data?

LOL, no defense necessary...your guys' posts were fine.

I think that everyone's treading in dangerous waters here if you are trying to make alterations to your system without having an .SBF file (best option) or custom recovery and Nandroid backup available.

(I should not that simply installing root-privilege apps like drocap2, TiBu, Root Explorer, etc. is fine as long as all due caution is observed).

tehsusenoh's thread here is a good one for people to be once again reminded that these early days of rooting for your Bionic's is really a scary time in some respects. You know we're going to hear of folks soft-bricking their phones, regardless of everyone's (especially trophynuts' excellent cautionary thread) and probably a few that will return them to VZW for an improper warranty return.

So, yes, I do think its not worth the risk at this point to use TiBu to restore any system apps since a potential boot-loop is not anything you want to have to face at this point in time without the proper safety net in-place.

Just my two cents ;).

Cheers!

Reactions: bigbabys
Upvote 0
LOL, no defense necessary...your guys' posts were fine.

I think that everyone's treading in dangerous waters here if you are trying to make alterations to your system without having an .SBF file (best option) or custom recovery and Nandroid backup available.

(I should not that simply installing root-privilege apps like drocap2, TiBu, Root Explorer, etc. is fine as long as all due caution is observed).

tehsusenoh's thread here is a good one for people to be once again reminded that these early days of rooting for your Bionic's is really a scary time in some respects. You know we're going to hear of folks soft-bricking their phones, regardless of everyone's (especially trophynuts' excellent cautionary thread) and probably a few that will return them to VZW for an improper warranty return.

So, yes, I do think its not worth the risk at this point to use TiBu to restore any system apps since a potential boot-loop is not anything you want to have to face at this point in time without the proper safety net in-place.

Just my two cents ;).

Cheers!

Awesome, thanks :) But just to clarify, I notice you said system apps. I was referring to non system apps though such as gosms. I have alot of settings that I have just the way I like and I've been spoiled with TIBU and all the roms I've flashed that I never want to have to "set apps up" again if I don't need to :D

So is it just system apps that are risky, or is restoring any app + data a dangerous idea at this point in time?

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks :) But just to clarify, I notice you said system apps. I was referring to non system apps though such as gosms. I have alot of settings that I have just the way I like and I've been spoiled with TIBU and all the roms I've flashed that I never want to have to "set apps up" again if I don't need to :D

So is it just system apps that are risky, or is restoring any app + data a dangerous idea at this point in time?

Oh, sorry, my bad re. that...

I wouldn't think that would be an issue since they are non-system apps and I'm guessing that these are apps you had on your DX.

Just don't "cross the streams" (Ghostbusters, LOL ;)) and try to install a system app.

Your prior experience with TiBu should already give you the warm and fuzzies re. this because of using this app with different ROMs.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Oh, sorry, my bad re. that...

I wouldn't think that would be an issue since they are non-system apps and I'm guessing that these are apps you had on your DX.

Just don't "cross the streams" (Ghostbusters, LOL ;)) and try to install a system app.

Your prior experience with TiBu should already give you the warm and fuzzies re. this because of using this app with different ROMs.

Cheers!

Ok sorry, what does "re." mean lol. I feel stupid for not knowing, but I've never seen it before

Upvote 0
Ok sorry, what does "re." mean lol. I feel stupid for not knowing, but I've never seen it before

Oh, LOL, no problem. "re." = "regarding" ;) [I don't even remember typing that :)].

Man, I have to Google so many things that I read here at AF...:eek:...I'm like, "what do they mean by that?"...then I find out and LMAO :).

There was one British reference one of the other Guides laid on me one day (I can't remember what is was at the moment)...that word had about 20 different meanings...I chose to take the least offensive one ;).

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Basically, the gist of the message is this:

rooting in and of itself is mostly not harmful. However, you're always told to have a backup. Well, when you're rooting for the first time, there really is no way to backup your phone.

Thus, to the rescue come the .SBF files. The are, for lack of a better way, 'complete installers of the phone OS' - much in the same way that a Windows disc will put a brand new OS on your computer that you can then configure.

Without having these, even with the relatively safe process of rooting, that 1% chance that something could happen is there, and if it does happen, you have no surefire way of recovering anything and have the very real possibility of having to take it in to a store to get it replaced - and in the process, possibly exposing to the store personnel / Motorola mobility (when it gets sent back there) that you were trying to root your phone, which may (I said may) come back to bite you in the arse in a very real monetary way.

The .SBF is not only a way to revert in case something breaks - its also a way to revert before taking it to the store for a replacement, so that no warranty voiding procedures are exposed.

And that, in so much as any other reason, is why users are being cautioned on rooting their phones this early in the game.

Reactions: almahix
Upvote 0
Basically, the gist of the message is this:

rooting in and of itself is mostly not harmful. However, you're always told to have a backup. Well, when you're rooting for the first time, there really is no way to backup your phone.

Thus, to the rescue come the .SBF files. The are, for lack of a better way, 'complete installers of the phone OS' - much in the same way that a Windows disc will put a brand new OS on your computer that you can then configure.

Without having these, even with the relatively safe process of rooting, that 1% chance that something could happen is there, and if it does happen, you have no surefire way of recovering anything and have the very real possibility of having to take it in to a store to get it replaced - and in the process, possibly exposing to the store personnel / Motorola mobility (when it gets sent back there) that you were trying to root your phone, which may (I said may) come back to bite you in the arse in a very real monetary way.

The .SBF is not only a way to revert in case something breaks - its also a way to revert before taking it to the store for a replacement, so that no warranty voiding procedures are exposed.

And that, in so much as any other reason, is why users are being cautioned on rooting their phones this early in the game.

I rooted, and I promise to be careful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones