1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A quick noob question...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wow400, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wow400

wow400 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Still getting to grips with my S2 and one question I have is regarding the sync.

I travel abroad quite a lot & really only want to only ever sync things like yahoo mail etc when I am on wi-fi.

I can turn off the auto-sync but can someone explain what the 'background data' check box is for - surely you either have auto-sync or manual sync (within the app) so why do we have a background data option for?

I'm obviously being a bit dense but I really want to make sure I'm not hit with massive charges when I'm overseas!

Thanks in advance,

Nic

Advertisement

2. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    Think of it like this;

You can turn off 3g, the effect of doing so is that your phone battery will last a lot longer because your phone is not constantly polling cell towers to find out if its in a 3g area or not.

Background data is similar, in that it is used by any app that requires a constant connection to the internet, either via 3g or wifi. These apps maybe email, market, or things like weather widgets, that again, constantly poll the internet for updates, all for your convenience.

If you disable background data, but have 3g on, you can still sync the parts of an account manually (i say parts because your google account has mail, calender, contacts that can be synced individually.)

If you are wanting more battery life, and only really 'NEED' your phone to make / accept calls, then you could turn off 3g & background data, until such time as you need them back on. IMO theres no point having them on while your phone is in your pocket for example.

3. wow400

wow400 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for that - I just need to ensure that the phone only makes any form of data communication (apart from SMS) when I am connected on wi-fi, not 3g etc.

I guess then I have to disable both auto sync & background data to achieve this? Or can I use a widget which disables 3g & leaves me with 2g?

If I use any form of data (except wi-fi) whilst in places like the US etc, I get hammered massively!

4. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

I would say you would have to turn both 3G and Background Data off and then turn WiFi on as and when needed so as not to drain the battery

5. XplosiV

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    If thats the case then yea;

Disable auto sync & background data on all accounts - settings > accounts & sync also background data
    Disable 3g - settings > wireless & netowrks > mobile networks > "use 2g only"
    Disable mobile data - settings > wireless & netowrks > mobile networks > "data enabled" untick

You can most probably find widgets that you can put on your home screen, i believe you an try searching for curvefish in the market for some that may be helpful to you.

You might also want to try an app called Elixir, looks very full featured, and free ;)

6. wow400

wow400 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    Thanks for your help Xplosiv - in that case, what's the tick box for under setting-wireless & network-mobile networks-'data roaming'

AFAIK, on the iPhone, if the data roaming box was unticked then you didn't use any data over the airwaves whilst abroad - is it the same on the S2 do you know?

There are too many options for me on this thing!!

Kind regards,

Nic

7. XplosiV

Jun 10, 2010
    Male
    UK
    LOL @ too many options.

Im not too sure, i would assume its the same, but im not 100%. I do know though that if you turn off the other stuff, you should be safe while abroad.

8. xmjox

xmjox Well-Known Member
    None

You can tell you're a former iPhoner! :p You'll get used to it eventually. I did and it's been less than a month. Still learning of course, but that's part of the fun

9. wow400

wow400 Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    ^ exactly!

I'm just trying to make the phone do what I want then I can explore what it can do! :)