• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Re-Greet

LOveWerks

Android Expert
Sep 9, 2011
Southern Colorado
Greetings -

I may have already introduced myself, when I first joined up in September of this year as a wet-newbie (noob...noob...noob...noob)... I'm now nowhere near being an expert, but I know (knew) my way around my previous Evo 4G... thanks to support from people like ocnbrze, and others within these precious threads.

I'm hooked on Android. (gimme 12 steps, gimme 12 steps, mister...)

I am disabled due to neurological and oncological issues... let's just leave it at that. I have a lot of time on my hands, so, I've really gotten into the idea of possibly learning the wheres, whys, and hows to - and about - the Android platform. I used to be a full-time musician - that, unfortunately, has taken a definite back seat, due to these recent events.

So - I'm BrotherBone. I'm 50 years old, and originally from the Northeastern US. I'm divorced, my kids are grown, and I have a lovely lady in my life named Linda. I don't have any pets because they stink, and I am an outdoor cigarette smoker.

I prefer my bourbon/rocks stirred, not shaken.

I shave my head, put Just For Men in my beard, and other things with the help of my lady. I flirt with twenty-five-year-old girls. I intensely dislike rednecks, bigots, and Republicans. If I had been around when this country was being created, I would've been a Federalist.

Civilized countries live in this way. Don't give me any lip about state's rights. I currently live in an 'at-will-to-work' state, so if you read the fine print about what that entails, you'll find out that here - you're just a step above being a slave, and, as such, you can be terminated for any reason.

It's a good thing I don't work for anyone.

Android is really, really awesome. As an Apple guy from the way-back machine, Android has the same vibe - open-source code, great devs, and intense supporters. We used to use AppleScript to make people's computers turn off whenever they hit a space bar.

No, there aren't any taverns up in the Space Station yet... let's hope they don't name their first pub 'Skylab'...

I'm here for the long haul. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading (and I'm glad that you can). If I have anything worthy of sharing, I will do so gladly. If I don't, you can be assured that I'll be asking a lot of questions.

Faithfully yours,
BBone

Hello again -

Just to let everyone know, I've posted some new photos within my profile. These photos were either taken by, or, taken along with an app by, OR, imported into the HTC Evo 4G (which were then effected, or affected, within an app inside the 4G...!)

Now that my 4G and I are parting ways, I'm glad that I was able to get the saved stuff to everyone here, before I ship my 4G back to The Philippines, from where it came. For the record, this post is by no means slanderous to The Philippines, or, its workers there.

Nor am I going to bash Sprint, and Asurion (the company that is the insurer, and provider of replacement phones for Sprint), or anyone that was involved in my second Evo 4G experience. Let us start at the beginning. My original 4G, bought in September, was stolen. I had the Total Equipment Protection Plan, along with the extra $8/mth. for insurance.

I had a replacement Evo 4G on my doorstep THE NEXT DAY. However, when I received it, I had just gotten back from a doctor's appointment, and, I was VERY medicated. I followed the instructions, and, the phone was already activated.

I should have paid closer attention. This phone, though a refurb, looked good - even the back cover was a better fit - than on my previous 4G. I let the battery charge for its 12 hours, and got right to it the next day.

First off, the buttons on this phone were STIFF. You had to apply some of the Herculean Clutch to make them work (this applies to the power, and the + and - buttons). I have big hands (a quarter [.25 cent piece, American] can fit through my wedding band). These buttons should not be a problem.

It actually felt like there was something in-between the plastic buttons externally, and the inner workings. Once the buttons made their connection, they'd do their thing... erratically.

Secondly, the reception on my previous phone was fine. There were the same amount of 'bars' showing on this replacement phone, but, it would drop calls like a bride's teddy on wedding night. Also, it was peculiar that there was no 3G and data. I just hit the 'dismiss' under the error code #67, and plowed forward.

I figured that since it was a 'new' phone, maybe it would be some time for it to 'sync'... but, the only way that it can accomplish that, is to have working 3G/Data. The only place that I can get WiMax is downtown, so, it seemed kind of weird that the 4G icon kept coming on during the error messages.

I couldn't make any purchases through Google, either.

A few days pass, and by this time, I'm pretty ticked off. I call Sprint just before Thanksgiving, and the tech support fellow walks me through an MEID check, and a system reset. No changes. He then tells me that he would get an eticket started for service at a local Sprint retailer.

I go to the retailer on the day after Thanksgiving. I'm very upset, and as I have health issues, I cannot walk very far. My power chair is being built as we speak, and it'll be a few more weeks before I receive it. I come into the store, with my cane, and once they got a good look at me, they knew that something wasn't right with the chow mein. One of the associates grabs a chair, and, thankfully, I am seated.

I let them know who, what, where, why, and because I'm old-school - I let in a little bit of 'how'. I also said that I wouldn't be leaving without a new phone. The lady tried to explain to me that my phone would have to be shipped, and I said, "Wrong answer."

They were desperate to get me taken care of, calling other stores - and one of the meatier guys came over and asked me if there was going to be a problem. From my sit-down position, I looked up at him, and said:
"No. There isn't going to be one, right?"

He walked away, and I could see other employees madly texting on their mobile phones. I can barely walk. Give me a break. Meanwhile, the store is filling with customers. Finally, a cappuccino hottie gets my attention, and hands me a phone.

I spent over an hour on the phone, explaining that I had full intentions to pay my bill, and deductible that day - but, as a customer, I should be treated with more respect when it comes to warranty service, as my deductible would be more than I paid for my phone. I wasn't paying another deductible for the phone that I would end up receiving, either.

Another 'not-so-hot' female with bad skin waved at me, pointing at another phone. At this point, my wife walked in. I can be a rough customer, but, I have to have a serious reason to be that way.

My wife needs no reason at all. Believe me when I tell you.

Once my wife's dry Chicago accent filled the room, the girl in need of a good dermatologist came to me with a mobile phone, and the hottie high-tailed it over to the tech room. The mobile phone she handed me, as it turned out, was hers. The person on the other end was a supervisor from Asurion. She asked me to take the battery cover off of my phone. I said that the tech department had it. I waved at Miss ProActiv, and she came over. I told her to take the phone to the techs.

A few minutes later, the girl came out, and said: "You might be pleased, even though you won't have a phone today." I told the girl, "Go over and talk to my wife. Please." I took the phone, and said, exasperatedly, "Yes?"

"Mr. ########, I'm so sorry that you won't be able to have a phone today. To make things right, we're shipping you a new HTC Evo 3D. The activation fee will be waived, and you won't have to pay another deductible." My response was, "You actually think that I was going to pay another deductible? I don't know what kind of Kool-Aid your company is giving you on those retreats, so, if I were you..."

I got a free upgrade. It took a lot of haranguing, and a couple of hours - but, hey - it was worth it, in the end.

Before I close, Sprint has actually been very decent to deal with, since I became a customer. I learned that there was a lot of three-way calling going on between Customer Care, different stores, and, eventually, Asurion. Corporate policy is what it is, like death and taxes. However, in this era of political correctness, and blame transference - you can, as an American, still have your rights. You have to be direct, and no-holds-barred. Your rights do NOT have to end, where some other entities begin.

Thanks for reading. Check out my profile and photos. I may be relatively new to Android, but:

I'm not new to life. Be well, everyone. :)

Reactions: zflamewing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones