1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A repair man broke my phone. Is he entitled to get paid

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by asafcohen4, Jun 17, 2016.

1. asafcohen4

asafcohen4 Lurker
    None

Jun 17, 2016
    Male
    Hi,

I hope this is the right forum for this kind of question. If not, I'll be happy if anyone could refer me to the right place.

Yesterday I gave my phone to a repair shop to replace the battery (the phone was working fine, just draining too quickly to my taste). After he did the job we both tried to turn it on but with no success. I said I'll come back tomorrow and hopefully by then he will manage to find what he did wrong and could fix the problem.

In case things don't get better tomorrow, according to UK law, if he is responsible for the damage is he still entitled to get paid for the service? I have already paid for the battery itself.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Did you sign anything or is it noted anywhere in the store that items repaired are done so at your risk and the shop isn't responsible if things go wrong etc?

Personally, I wouldn't pay, but with regards to your legal obligations, I'm not sure. Your legal entitlement is probably covered somewhere in the consumer rights act: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Have a scan through that and see if you can find anything useful.

Failing that, your best bet would be to contact a local Citizens Advice Bureau. If you need an answer by tomorrow, it might be worth checking out the consumer rights section of the MSE Forums, they've helped me with issues in the past and they're normally relatively quick to respond - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173

Where are you in the UK? If in Scotland, the law may differ slightly than if you were in England.