1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

A search for a GPS tracker that can both be used in airplane mode, and seen live by 3rd party

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by elin, Apr 2, 2011.

1. elin

elin Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Hi,
    We cycle a little and have been using mytracks successfully to track and save our routes and journey data.

However with a 5 day cycle ahead we'd like to be able to share our location with others whilst we cycle. As we'll be cycling through areas of patchy reception, and in order to keep the battery alive all day, we'd like to be able to keep the phone in airplanemode during the cycle. This works with mytracks (it loads the map after journey is complete and internet access regained), but there is no function for others to see our position. I've played around with latitude, which works ok, but needs internet access to work.

Does anyone know of an app that combines both these functions? (1.Works without internet access in airplane mode. 2.Trackable on desktop)

Many thanks, Elin

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    NOTHING will be able to share your location without internet access. Like you said,My Tracks will work without internet access, but again, it needs internet access to download maps and to be able to share your loacation.

3. elin

elin Lurker
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Oh yeah...I never thought about it that way. It needs to send the data somehow doesn't it?! Duh!

4. Lars

Lars Android Expert
    None

You can share your location via text message which doesn't use internet but still needs phone service.