1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root A Serious Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by MonsterNo7, May 3, 2012.

1. MonsterNo7

MonsterNo7 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    ATX
    Ok, so I have a question for everyone. I'm not trying to insult anyone, so please don't take this the wrong way. But why are so many rushing to install ICS roms that aren't finished and aren't 100% working? Hell, why are people rushing to get ICS? I mean, the style and colors are nice, but you can get pretty close with a theme. What is it that has everyone rushing to upgrade their ROMs? I really am curious, because I'm not at all eager to upgrade, I get great battery life on Harmonia 2, and I don't feel like I'm lacking in any functionality. For those of you that are upgrading, I hope everything gets tested and working soon, and I hope you enjoy ICS.

Advertisement

2. gbiggie

gbiggie La patience et le pardon
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Male
    Detroit,Michigan
    You make some valid points for sure. Not really sure why exactly for some but perhaps it has to do with having the newest most efficient ROM. I enjoy change myself as well having the option to try some thing new(love testing things on my devices).:eek:
    Have not the chance to test an ICS ROM yet but might do so with my Ascend as there is a stable build out now.

3. Anthonycr11

Anthonycr11 Member
    None

Mar 27, 2012
    Electrical Engineering Student
    Upstate New York
    Oooooohhhh shiny!!!

Thats a serious reason.

4. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus
    None

May 13, 2011
    Laborer (all the dirty nasty work nobody else want
    Florida
    The UI is simple and more user friendly. Easy to navigate. It is noticeably smoother and snappier. It has more customization options than everything but the BACKside ROM.

benslgdroid and MonsterNo7 like this.
  5. cole2kb

cole2kb Newbie
    None

May 2, 2012
    Same as everyone else. It's smoother, at a lower clock speed, looks nicer, battery life has been comparable to running the only IHO ROM I could after doing the radio update, etc... The only things that aren't working are Bluetooth (which I don't personally use), and the camcorder (which, again, I don't use). So, the ICS ROMs are a daily driver for me.

MonsterNo7 likes this.
  6. MonsterNo7

None

Feb 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    ATX
    Well at least you guys gave me valid points. If it runs more efficiently then I'd say that's a big plus. Like I said, I've got nothing against ICS. I tried out Quattrimus, it was nice but I didn't really give it a real run. I only had it installed for about an hour. But I've already bricked one phone, so using unfinished, still-in-alpha roms is a little too risky for me.

7. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Male
    Video Production
    Sunrise, Fl
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    So true! :rofl:

.....not sure what happened with laugh...

8. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    You can't brick your phone flashing a ROM as long as you have a working custom recovery. A nandroid backup to drop back to is always plus.

9. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Male
    Video Production
    Sunrise, Fl

Actually Primed bricked his Samsung Admire when he tried porting a ROM to it, he flashed it, rebooted and black screen....it was because he ported a GSM ROM instead of a CDMA one....but it wont even turn on now and he tried another battery, plugging it in to a power outlet, USB and nothing....just a nice paper weight now.

10. MonsterNo7

None

Feb 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    ATX
    No I bricked mine by hitting the Format button. The evil, evil button. Ended up with no rom and no recovery on my phone.

The point being, I'm now more cautious.

11. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    I stand corrected.
    Why would anybody risk bricking their phone by flashing a ROM designed for a totally different network? The radio image is way wrong.

MonsterNo7: As long as you flash a ROM developed for your phone. You can't brick it. Just don't try to factory reset from the privacy menu on the phone if something goes wrong as this will brick your phone. You can only use the "wipe data/factory reset" option in the recovery. This will only wipe all user data from the installed ROM, not the ROM.

12. sammyz

sammyz LG Whiz Kid
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Male
    Video Production
    Sunrise, Fl
    He didn't know..............he didn't know what could happen by flashing a ROM designed for a completely different radio. He also didn't know that if you have the same phone, but a GSM version and a CDMA version and you flash the GSM version ROM onto a CDMA phone that it could cause serious problems

13. cdunkle584

cdunkle584 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 11, 2011
    Desktop Support
    I did the same thing last weekend. Went to prep for flashing a different ROM, formatted data, dalvik, system, sdcard OOPS NOT THAT - NOOOoooo shoot. Formatted the sdcard after formatting system. Nothing, nada. Tried to unformat (2 different programs) neither worked.
    Ooo, I remembered I backed up the sdcard a month ago or so - copied that back, copied latest JerryScript ROM and gapps, flashed it, HAPPY AGAIN.
    OVs are really good phones, survive all sorts of mistreatment.

On topic again: I ran Quattrimus ICS alpha 7 as a daily for a month or two, loved the interface, the speed, the battery life. If it had camera preview, I would still be using it. Waiting patiently, I know the dev is working hard on it. Paaaaatience....

14. AndyOpie150

None

May 13, 2011
    Florida
    I made the same mistake once. I have a backup of all the contents of my uSD card on my PC, so it was no big deal. I just transferred all the folders and files back. Good to go after 45min of transferring ( I have 8 GB's of info on it).

On Topic: The only 2 things I didn't like about Quattrimus is 1. It's way to big still (over 80MB) and 2. The battery life still is not where it could be.

15. JerryScript

JerryScript Android Expert
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    +1 for "Oooh Shiny" answering the OP! ;)

Until we can get the network hand-offs working properly, ICS will be a battery hog, and anything 3G related will have issues.

I really thought having the proper module would have solved the issue, but tdm built that module over a month ago, and we still have the hand-off issues. :(

AndyOpie150 likes this.
  16. MonsterNo7

None

Feb 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    ATX
    Hey did anyone have an issue with Wifi not staying connected on Quattrimus? Mine would keep connecting, trying to find an IP, and then disconnecting. Like, an endless loop.

badboytoast likes this.
  17. badboytoast

badboytoast Well-Known Member
    None

May 1, 2012
    Lol gave you a thanks by mistake :D, there was an alpha aopk 8,9 that have mms fix! And on the latest one I had mms and wifi working!

Tags: