1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

A sign of getting old

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jhtalisman, Jul 14, 2016.

1. jhtalisman

jhtalisman Android Enthusiast
    Sep 6, 2011

Sep 6, 2011
    Lead Machine Operator
    Nashvegas, Tn
    I can't believe that it has been 20 plus years of watching 2 of the greatest, most humble, athletes take the field or court, since I was 14 years old.

Those athletes, Peyton Manning and Tim Duncan, epitomize what being a teammate is. Always willing to put in hard work for the sake of winning. Though winning isn't everything, their work ethic has shown, through 2 very different upbringings, that anything is possible.

Tim only became a basketball player because the only Olympic sized swimming pool in the Virgin Islands was destroyed, as his goal was to become an Olympic swimmer. Peyton, on the other hand, had a football playing father who paved his way into the sport.

Both have shown incredible humility to achieve their accolades. Multiple time MVPs, champions, and all around great human beings. I cannot fathom life without either in their respective sports, it has been that long since I have watched either sport and them not being on the sideline, somewhere, lacing up their shoes or putting on their helmet. Selfless teammates who showed up early, stayed late, to help their co-workers enhance their craft to help their team.

Sadly, these 2 tremendous people have both called it a career within the past 5 months, and it saddens me that there are not enough of these high profile but down to earth personalities left in the world for whom children can, not look up to as role models, but see as inspiration to achieve at the highest level in whatever path they choose, without being a distraction. It saddens me to see a little bit of my childhood eroded, seeing 2 of the greatest at their professions retired, and to see the divas of those sports taint the image of the leagues.

But it saddens me more to see such a fixture of my teenage years into my adult life leave, knowing I am getting old enough to see these legends gone, and say that I saw them in their college days. Enough to bring tears to my eyes, and a heavy heart knowing that, without actually meeting either of them, my life will never be the same without seeing them continuously perfecting their craft.

#1 jhtalisman, Jul 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    rootabaga, kct1975, LV426 and 2 others like this.