1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps A simple to use intuitive scheduler/calendar

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by CodyByrne, Jul 4, 2011.

1. CodyByrne

CodyByrne Lurker
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    I'm a software designer, and I'm mulling over the possibility of building a skeletal calendar program that is intuitive, not overly complicated and encourages consistent use. As a mobile app, I'd like to use these same principles.

Where I'd hope to diverge is the ability to set reminders/appointments with the click of a button, by identifying text within an email, a text or a pdf (Dates, names, phone numbers etc.).

My reasons for coming onto this forum is enquire as to whether or not my idea has already been realised? I still intend to develop the program regardless, but it would be interesting to take not of the other ideas employed.

Advertisement

2. lumix

lumix Member
    None

Aug 13, 2011
    No, I don't think so. I cannot find a simple Calendar app in the Android market.

I've posted a thread on requirements for a simple Calendar app.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...not-have-simple-calendar-app.html#post3130635

Here is what I would say requirements for a simple Calendar app:

1. The Calendar needs to be an app and not widget. Pardon my Android ignorance, a widget runs continuously in the background and thus uses memory, OS cache whatsoever, and more importantly battery power. An app however runs only when I open the app, and stop running when I close the app. In the context of a Calendar, I only need to use the Calendar when I want to find out about a certain day so I don't need the Calendar to be running continuously in the background as a widget. Thus the Calendar needs to be an app and not a widget.

2. The Calendar needs to show dates in a single month and possibly 2 months on a page or all 12 months on a page. The day view is not needed, this is a Calendar, not a day timer, the week view is not needed, this is a calendar and not a week planner. The ability to set up appointments, reminders are all bonuses which are not needed for a *simple* calendar app.

3. The only permission the app can have is Modify/Delete USB storage for writing user notes on certain dates, where applicable. No other permission should be a given, particularly internet access. In fact, I don't have a data plan so I have no internet access. And if I have internet access, why do I need to install a Calendar app from the Android Market which takes up memory, storage cache, battery juice when I can simply just use Google Calendar? I'm looking for a Calendar app because I do not have internet access.

4. Where possible, the Calendar apps should have no ads. If not, a no Ads version for a dollar would be acceptable.