• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A smooth downgrade, so I can upgrade.... Possible?

XxXplicit

Aug 11, 2010
Nor Cal
I tired installing the 2.2 update, but as many of us have seen problems have been occuring. I updated my sisters radio to the version that changed the start up screen. I didn't root the phone or apply any other update except for that one. Obviously I need to downgrade what I did to the stock. I downloaded SDK and will attempt to follow this:

The reason I ask is because my cousin did the samething, but is having problems downgrading the phone. The video seems simple enough, but after hearing my cousins unsuccessful attempt I'm worried about doing this. Basically I need some help so that I can downgrade and then upgrade this phone as smooth and fast as possible. Since it is my sisters phone the last thing I need is to give her back a brick. Is there anything else I need to download so I don't fall victim like my cousin did?

I downgraded from the 8/27 RUU last night and it went smoothly and done in no time. I then rooted and upgraded and installed everything back as it was before. Was done in less then two hours and i was watching TV and double checking everything.

I used this XDA site to help the process to downgrade:

[GUIDE] How to downgrade from OTA RUU 2.2 to 2.1 - xda-developers

Good luck!

Upvote 0
If I rooted my phone back when it first became available (no radio, or unrevoked forever), what path should I be following to upgrade to the official 2.2? Is there a path that doesn't involve wiping out everything on the phone?

You only need to remove clockworkmod and return to stock recovery if all you did was run unrevoked3. If you ever moved files around, installed custom roms, or anything like that you will need to follow sticky about downgrading. But if you left everything stock after you rooted, can look here for information on how to return to stock recovery.

[Recovery] Stock 2.1 Recovery Image for DI - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I am confused. The only thing I did was update the radio. I did not root. I viewed the video, but he quickly mentions custom recovery. Do I need to root to apply custom recovery? Not sure of the process.

Any help would be appreciated

Confused what your asking, If you weren't rooted and were stock why were you trying to downgrade your phone? If you were rooted, installed a leaked radio or anything else, then you need to get back to stock to accept the official OTA.

And unrevoked3 installs custom recovery when you get rooted. Called clockworkmod.

Upvote 0
My partner got her Incredible FroYo'd before I was given the chance, so in response I ended up rooting my 2.1.1 stock for the first time yesterday, performed a Titanium backup and then applying the S-OFF patch then restoring to a stock 2.1.0 image.

From there I applied the 2.1.1 patch first then the 2.2 Update.zip which worked an absolute treat. By the end of the day the phone was as good (Titanium did an excellent job!) as when I started, albeit now still rooted and with some FroYo love. Life is good! :cool:

Not bad considering I was battling a DB Server problem at the same time - which I also resolved (Yeah, I'm that good! :D )

I should add, I've never done anything like this before so I'm rather chuffed with myself!

R

Upvote 0
Confused what your asking, If you weren't rooted and were stock why were you trying to downgrade your phone? If you were rooted, installed a leaked radio or anything else, then you need to get back to stock to accept the official OTA.

And unrevoked3 installs custom recovery when you get rooted. Called clockworkmod.
I applied the leaked OTA for the Radio, 3G hotspot, etc. Kicking myself for doing it

So based on what you are saying, I do need to use unrevoked and root, correct?

Thank you for th help

Upvote 0
I applied the leaked OTA for the Radio, 3G hotspot, etc. Kicking myself for doing it

So based on what you are saying, I do need to use unrevoked and root, correct?

Thank you for th help

Unrevoked allows you to root and flash your device. in this case you will have to use unrevoked to flash the device. You will not be rooting your phone at all during the downgrade process.

Reactions: ChuckT
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones