• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A solution to one cause of android.process.acore stopped working

Hi,

Having encountered the "People" app dying with "android.process.acore stopped" with the Sensation, and had no luck with the interwebz finding a solution to my particular version of this problem, I thought I'd post my eventual solution here, in case it helps anyone in the future.

So, the short version is, that I'd recently deactivated my facebook account, and that in some way caused "People" to crash, when I started it. I found (after hours and hours of repeatedly seeing this problem), that only when I reactivated facebook did the problem with people go away. My guess is that it wasn't doing a good job of handling all the facebook links in the vcard/contact metadata, when facebook was deactivated. Note also, I'm pretty sure that this is the problem, because when I deactivated facebook again later, the problem came back.

Anyway, if you encountered the android.process.acore problem, and you recently deactivated your facebook account, this could be why.

Possible solutions:-

1) Well, reactivate facebook, obviously
2) Use a different contact manager (e.g. Contacts+ which in my case didn't crash)
3) You could probably try manually hacking the facebook data out of an export/backup and then re-importing it, but I didn't try this myself, so do so at your own risk.
4) I guess actually, you can remove the facebook links through the People UI, so maybe re-activate facebook, unlink facebook linked contacts, then deactivate facebook again - but I didn't try this either.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones