• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help a spell check that will work anyone???

madixxx

Feb 16, 2012
France
hi

is it just me or is there no spell check in the polaris? i have ckecked the box in settings.

iam tying with the keyboard docked of course. i downloaded the 'docs to go' but apparently the free version doesnt let me try this-anyone that has the ull and can confirm if the spell check exists?

i am desperate as my spelling (in all the 6 languages i use) is as i probably have demonstrated a DISASTER!!!

please tell me if there is something out there to fix this problem as i need the red thread to guide me out of error!!!!!!!!!

cheers
m

What particular places are you finding that there's no spell correction? In the stock ICS browser, there is your typical "red underline" for incorrect spelling. I've never used Docs to Go, so I can't comment there. I also have no idea about multiple languages, so I can't help there. Hopefully someone else can help you out.
(I'm a grammar nazi, so I know what you mean by the way)

Upvote 0
What particular places are you finding that there's no spell correction? In the stock ICS browser, there is your typical "red underline" for incorrect spelling. I've never used Docs to Go, so I can't comment there. I also have no idea about multiple languages, so I can't help there. Hopefully someone else can help you out.
(I'm a grammar nazi, so I know what you mean by the way)

hi and thanks for the answer i see this forum does NOT contain many ambitious writer hehee
:p
i would like to be able to write a document ( either polaris or docs to go ) and have the text underlined in case of erros as it is here even if with my keyboard i dont get a suggestion at least i know there is an error. i write fast and have disclectic tendencies :) so i MUST have a spelling corrector.
besides as said i need t in several languages so if anyone has been through this and found something useful please don't hesitate to share the info!

warm regards

Upvote 0
I'm in pretty much the same boat here. :(

I started using Polaris (doc) seriously as of yesterday, and I was very disappointed to find that it seems there is NO spell checking available within the program itself. I couldn't believe it at first :eek: and kept going thru everything I could find (settings/options/etc) and found NOTHING.

We even have spell check right here (thanks dev)....but not in Polaris...it seems. :mad:

I would love to be proven wrong about this. :D
I'm still hoping there is 'something' buried somewhere deep inside our Prime that we are currently unaware of that will provide us with a spell check capability.

Anyone out there with any good answers?...solutions? Some help here would really be appreciated. ;)

Upvote 0

"Just downloaded GD and SC works!"
Well, that does SOUND encouraging,...but can you be more specific?
Does it work WITH the KB dock or are you using only the tablet with a digital display KB?

After reading your comment I used the link and checked out the Google Docs app in the Playstore. What I read in the many reviews there was a real shock and very disappointing.
There were MANY one and two star reviews, and MANY negative comments about several things users have discovered after trying out the app.

As for doing any spell check, the few reviews that mentioned it....stated that it doesn't work. You're saying it does, so I'm confused.
Several people also mentioned that trying to do spreadsheets was a complete disaster.

Also the app claims to be 4.2MB, but posters are saying it's actually 8MB...What's with that?
The big deal with this HUGE app is the 'Cloud' feature,.....but I couldn't care less about uploading my docs to 'cloud' storage......I simply want an Office app that has the ability to SPELL CHECK...and even at 8MB it looks as if I'm not getting it with this app.
With as much Google has I really don't understand why they can't seem to put together something much better than this. It seems more of an embarrassment than anything. They could and should do better...much better.

If you can tell me that spell check works WITH the KB dock attached...then I'll give it a try,......but as it is now..with all the bad 1-3 star reviews being given...I'm not going to even bother. I don't need a massive program/app on my device that doesn't work.

I don't mean to be mean, and if this app does do what I'm looking for it to do as you're stating it can,...then I'll be very happy and grateful.
However as I see it now.....this is a huge app, from Google, that is still disappointing to a lot of people. I don't want to download it,...and become another one. I hope you understand my point, my concern, and my disappointment.

Upvote 0
After doing a lot of searching for a worthwhile Office suite app...I stumbled upon this one, and it's GREAT ! I am very impressed with its ease of use, functionality, intuitiveness, layout, and its UI.

It's called KingSoft Office.
Anyone looking for a very nice office suite should check it out. Like many office apps out there it does not have spell check capabilities....BUT....it will be having that function in an upcoming update. It is very full featured and the more I used it the better I liked it. It seems that many others feel the same way, because (unlike Google Docs) this app has hundreds of 4 and 5 star reviews, and rightfully so.

I used the word processor (.doc) function and the powerpoint (.ppt) function and the PDF (.pdf) function and I liked them very much.
Rather than having me go on and on about it I strongly suggest you download it yourself and try it. Now for the best part...the FULL version is NOW FREE !

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
I just received this email from Melissa at KingSoft,....and it's really great news.
Here it is;

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your support of Kingsoft Office.

The spell checker will be available in next version, Kingsoft Office for Android 4.5, which will be released next week. As Kingsoft Office important customer, we are pleased to provide continuous and effective help and service. For more information on Kingsoft Office, please access our official website http://www.kingsoftstore.com.

Any problem, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Melissa

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones