• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Step by Step Guide to getting Amazon Appstore, & Google Play on a Curtis Klu LT7033

Just rooted a friend's KLU LT7033 step by step. Thanks a million! He is now able to get the app he needs and is extremely happy. Aside from the lousy touch sensitivity of the device and a bit of trouble locating the "up" button in the file manager, the process was painless. I always wanted to know how to root an Android device! Thanks for the experience and the GREAT instructions.:)

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
(Note: You may find it helpful to plug in the tablet's charger & go to...
Settings > Developer options > Check Stay awake )(8-3-13 edit SN)

On your tablet...
Settings > developer options > check USB debugging.
Settings > security > check Unknown sources

On your PC...
Set your folder options to show hidden files.
(If you don't know how just... Start > help > search for show hidden files & follow the instructions.)

Download and completely extract...
ADB Driver RK29.zip (Please report broken links)

If you are using WIN8 follow the instructions about how to disable driver signature enforcement before attempting to install the ADB drivers. (Thanks profit & ddpinkerton618) (Please report broken links)

Start the device manager (if you don't know how, start > help > search for device manager)

Connect a USB cable first to the tablet, then to the PC.
The device should appear in the device manager as an Android _____ (phone, device) and then...
click the arrow next to it's device description then
double click it's name to open it's properties dialog box.
> Driver tab > Update driver > Let me pick > Have Disk > Browse to the folder & click android_winusb.inf > OK
The computer may give you a warning that the driver is unsigned, just choose install anyway.
The computer should recognize and install the driver. ( < 30 sec. )

If the driver is not recognized see post 116 for further instructions. Then return here to finish.

Once the drivers are installed the General tab should say the device is working properly.
If you've got the device working properly...

Download and completely extract the Root RK29 Toolkit 1.3.zip provided by SferaDev :santaclaus:
Root RK29 Tab Toolkit 1.3.zip (Please report broken links)

On the tablet, click on the status / notifications tray in the lower right corner, it's menu will open then click on Usb connected. Verify that mass storage is off. Back out.

On the PC click...
Start > computer > navigate to where you extracted the runme.bat file from the Root Toolkit Zip. Double click runme.bat

A command window will pop up with a list of 6 things you need to be sure are done before you proceed. These are (1) Install the ADB drivers of the folder. (What we just did.) (2) Power on your tablet (3) Turn off mass storage. (you just verified that) (4) Enable USB debugging (5) Enable unknown sources & (6) connect a USB cable.

(If you have been following these instructions you already have all this done, otherwise go ahead and do whatever you still need to do.)

Hit enter and then wait patiently. The whole process takes less than 5 min. but your tablet will reboot several times in the process. When its done your tablet should be rooted, and the program will ask you to...
press enter to exit the program. Press enter.

Take a safety pin, or a paper clip, and press the reset button on the back of the tablet. This will reboot the tablet.

After the tablet finishes rebooting...
Open ES File Explorer
At the bottom left of the screen there are 3 vertical dots. Press this button.
A menu pops up, press settings.
Select View > Details.
Scroll down to,and select Root settings
check Root Explorer.
A warning will pop up, select yes.
Another pop up, Check the remember box, and then select Allow
Check all of the remaining boxes, when all 5 boxes are checked...

Use the back button to get back to the main ES File Explorer screen (you should be at.. /sdcard/ )
Navagate to the root directory (On this device it looks like a phone with a / )
Look at the file permissions of the /system/ (folder) if they read rwxr-xr-x skip the remainder of this paragraph
If the file permissions of the /system/ folder do not read rwxr-xr-x then...
long press the system folder icon until a menu pops up,
scroll to the bottom of the menu and select properties
Next to the permissions press Change
A 3 x 3 matrix of check boxes will appear...
Check all of the boxes except; Group write, & Other write.
Press OK
Press OK

Navigate to /sdcard/Download/ )
press the (multi) Select button, select the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk you downloaded earlier, & press copy
use the up button to get to the root directory. (On this device it looks like a phone with a / )
press the system (folder icon), then press the app (folder icon) (you should be at... /system/app/ )
Press the (multi) Select button, select the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk & press the paste button.
(Don't be surprised that the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk seems to disappear, its made up of many smaller files that will be put back together when you reboot.)

Shut down the tablet, remove the USB cable, & reboot it being prepared to answer allow or yes to any pop ups that may be presented by the Superuser program.

You should now have Google Play in your list of apps. If so fire it up to make sure that it works.

If Google play does not work, you are required by law to post feedback!;)

Regardless of a working Google play or not there is one more thing you must do...

Open ES File Explorer & click...
(3 vertical dots) > Settings > Root settings
Uncheck Mount File System,
Uncheck Up to Root.
Back out of ES File Explorer.

Leave Feedback! Please, you may save a thousand people from wading through a procedure that doesn't work.

:thinking:Navigate to /sdcard/Download/ )
press the (multi) Select button, select the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk you downloaded earlier, & press copy
use the up button to get to the root directory. (On this device it looks like a phone with a / )
press the system (folder icon), then press the app (folder icon) (you should be at... /system/app/ )
Press the (multi) Select button, select the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk & press the paste button.
(Don't be surprised that the com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk seems to disappear, its made up of many smaller files that will be put back together when you reboot.)
Hi, I have a Proscan PLT7044K-B. I did all of the step mentionned above, but I can't copy the android apk file to the app folder. Everytime I try, I get failed to copy com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk....:(
Any Ideas how to get it to work?
Thanks

Upvote 0
Awwww yeah son!!!! Just put the Play Store on this Klu LT7035-J using supernoobers method. H.H. Gregg. got these thing's for $49.99 on clearance. Got 2 of them actually. Only problem I had seemed to be every time the tablet restarted during the rooting process my PC would forget the ADB driver was installed and I just had to update the driver every restart to complete the whole thing.

Had to do the whole copying com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk to the /system/app/ folder thing twice because from the looks of it the file didn't have the same permissions as the rest of the files in the folder. I just set the permissions for the apk to what the other files said, shut down and turned on the tablet again and after a bit the Play Store opened on it's own telling me there were updates for my Apps.

Now if I could only get ClockworkMod recovery and a custom rom on this thing. Hmmmm....... :p

Upvote 0
Curtis International does not manufacture anything. They buy up surplus, discontinued, and obsolete products from the Chinese market and rebrand the tablets under the Klu, and Proscan brand names. This is why they have so many letters at the end of their model numbers. For instance the Klu model 7035 was up to letter J the last time I looked. The LT7035G had a white back plate and was manufactured by a completely different Chinese company than the LT7035J.

Funny you mention the LT7035J. As I mentioned in the post above this I bought 2 at H.H. Gregg for $49.99 a piece. Well your procedure work perfectly then I went and bricked one of them trying to do something totally unrelated, which was to make the tablet believe that the external sd card installed was the internal SD NAND Flash by making a change in "/system/etc/vold.fstab". Sounds like a good idea because the space you're left with on the nand is very small (under 2GB), but my results were not good at all as it would just sit with the Android logo on the screen for eternity without booting fully into the OS. Anyway, in my attempts to recover from the brick, which I never actually did (took it back and got a replacement), one of the programs I used identified the LT7035-J as a PLT7044K, which is a Proscan model. I found that quite odd.

Upvote 0
So I got a LT7035J running Jelly Bean.

Looking around device manager. I don't see any device listed as Android. I do see the device model listed under other devices, but read that is not wise to use. The only other thing I can find occasionally under portable devices is rocketchip.

Any one here have any idea as to why I can't find the Android listing in Device manager?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Upvote 0
So I got a LT7035J running Jelly Bean.

Looking around device manager. I don't see any device listed as Android. I do see the device model listed under other devices, but read that is not wise to use. The only other thing I can find occasionally under portable devices is rocketchip.

Any one here have any idea as to why I can't find the Android listing in Device manager?

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

The only time you should see, or that I personally have seen, anything named "rockchip" in device manager is when the tablet is in Recovery Mode.

Upvote 0
hii i bought a proscan PLT8801k and also trying to install google play.
im following supernoobers instructions, i did post 123 and my driver is not recognized. i'm doing the post 116but im having trouble at the end with this part....> Driver tab > Update driver > Browse > Let me pick > Highlight the Composit ADB Interface > Have Disk > Browse to the ADB Driver RK29 folder > & click android_winusb.inf > Open
Windows will warn you that the driver is unsigned, just choose install anyway.
After the driver loads return to post 4 to finish.

after i install anyways it encounters a prob says ( the hash 4 file isn't present in the dammm specified catalog file. file is corrupt or blah blah blah now what?? re checked my work cant seem 2 find the problem after a hour of this? what should i do??

Upvote 0
Using a win7 machine I got the driver to load.

I was able to follow all instructions. paste the api in the system/app folder and upon reboot google play is not installed.

If i install it manually, it will crash after I launch, with a message, unfortunately google play has stopped working (or something like that)

I can see the program launch fine, says youtube and some google talk program need to be updated, but thats all I get too see

used 4.1 4.8 api versions.

any one still pay attention to this tread ?

Upvote 0
I just got the play store working on an LT-7035-F that I got from Fry's on clearance. Like a few others, I got the same "green check" on the Root analyzer, but then got a message that the operation failed when running root explorer.

After a few (failed) tries of getting the right drivers set up on my Windows laptop, I hooked it up to my Mac laptop, which I happened to already have a full Android SDK on. With the help of This ADB guide, I got sdk-tools (download is on this post in that thread). I unzipped the file and ran sdk.sh, then ran "adb shell" to get a shell on my device.

With an ADB shell on the device, I was able to see why the Root Analyzer was positive but Root Explorer was failing ... I had root and /system was mode 755, but it was mounted as read-only. Using the shell, I remounted /system as read-write.
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system

From there I didn't need to go back into ES File Explorer. I just used the shell to copy the file. This was a little bit tricky because the version of busybox installed didn't seem to have the "cp" command available, but it had the unix "cat" command, which can do the same thing.
Code:
cat /sdcard/Download/com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk > /system/app/com.android.vending-4.1.10.apk

Then just to see if I could, I rebooted it from the console. It rebooted the device faster than if I'd done it from the UI.
Code:
reboot

When it came back up, Google Play Store was working!

Oh, it says I can't post links as a new user, so here is the post where I downloaded the ADB sdk tools: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-2013-05-21-a.html#post5389081

Like I said, I already had a full Android dev kit on the machine so there may be more you need to do for your system, but I just had to unzip that one and run the install shell script.

Upvote 0
I was able to install Google Play 4.4.21 using Maman2659's instructions and have an icon on the Curtis. I open the app and get a blank screen. It only shows the magnifying glass (search wants to work but doesn't) and the three dots in the upper right corner. Settings are shown, but that's all. Nothing else happens; I expect to see apps or something when I open Play Store; but nothing happens.

Upvote 0
I was able to install Google Play 4.4.21 using Maman2659's instructions and have an icon on the Curtis. I open the app and get a blank screen. It only shows the magnifying glass (search wants to work but doesn't) and the three dots in the upper right corner. Settings are shown, but that's all. Nothing else happens; I expect to see apps or something when I open Play Store; but nothing happens.

Update: I let it "rest" overnight and now it works. I get a lot of dropped connections and retries, but it does work. Thank you Maman2659!

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I have the LT7033D and my computer isn't recognizing it when I plug in the USB I always get "Windows was unable to install your Android" would anyone be able to let me know how I can get how and where I can get the drivers needed so that my computer recognizes my tablet. ANY advice will help. Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
I have a Curtis Klu LT7035-J..... haven't attempted any root or such....tho will if can get around my current issue. I have it password locked and now all of a sudden the on screen keyboard will not display when tapping the password text box from lock screen. I know it its the touch screen because when hold textbox the blinking arrow pops up plus when hold power button to display shut down or cancel - touch screen works & device responds approprietly also if connect micro usb to comp to display connect as mass storage - touch screen works & responds approprietly.I'v try'd of course power'n off & restart'n as well as I'v pressed the reset button & still no keyboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS, Id like to get my pics off BEFORE hard resetting if possible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones