• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A Tale of Two (Awful) Facebooks

eben

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
Since I got my Droid X a few days ago I have been plagued by contact syncing issues and most notably how they relate to the facebook apps, both the Motorola Facebook and the Android market facebook. My suspicion is that these bugs are behind the comic sluggishness of my brand new phone. Here are the bugs I've discovered in the hopes that someone has a solution for me, or that the developers will catch on.

Motorola Facebook Issues:
This app imports ALL of your facebook friends to your contacts. There is no way to turn this off. I have over 1,000 facebook friends, most of whom I will never contact on the phone. This is exceedingly annoying. In reality I have about 300 contacts that I actually want in my phone which I imported easily from google. The Motorola facebook app did seem to sync up with these contacts just fine adding pictures, emails etc. Only problem was it brought everyone else along with it.

Market Facebook Issues:
- Despite setting my sync preferences to only syncing data to existing contacts, Facebook will still add anybody with a phone number attached to their facebook account to "Phone Contacts." "Phone Contacts" are different from "All Contacts" (bizarre), so it's not quite as bad as the Motorola FB importing everyone of my fb friends (phone # or not) to "All contacts", but it's still very, very annoying.

- The app will not sync pictures to contacts.

- The app creates dozens and dozens (in my case 43) "linked profiles" to each of my contacts. I am guessing this is what is causing the ridiculous sluggishness of my phone.

Conclusions:
- I am going to fully delete the Market FB app from my phone along with the data it added to my contacts.

- Since I really love having pics/fb info attached to my contacts, I am going to try using the Moto FB app by itself and just live with the 1000 or so contacts. This will be the first time I am trying the moto app w/o the market app. I am hoping this solves the sluggishness which I suspect has to do with the "linked profiles" created by the Market FB app.

Currently my phone is in the process of deleting the market FB app which is taking FOREVER. I will keep you all posted. And I'd love to hear if anyone else is having similar problems.

I'm having some of the same problems you are. My phone doesn't seem to be as slow as yours is, but the facebook thing is really annoying.

I could live with having all my contacts in my list, but the really annoying part is when I'm typing a name to call/text, it tries to autocomplete with some of my facebook friends that I don't want showing up.

The market FB app gives the option to sync only existing contacts, but it doesn't add pictures or anything, and still adds new contacts to my list!

Hopefully the moto app will give us the option to not add any new contacts while syncing

Upvote 0
I think that this FB thing is crap. i hate how it doesnt notify you when someone commented on your wall. this phone is so advanced but for somereason notifications is to advanced for it LOL. and in the new version of FB you could actually turn off the syncing to only friends that are in your contact list already.

Upvote 0
Creating a list to filter out all those FB contacts you wouldn't normally call is actually pretty easy, and fortunately when you go back to your contacts it keeps that list on top.

I would that it prioritized posts to my wall, but the regular integrated feed is ok with me. (I only have about 300 friends, so its not a HUGE issue for me).

I dislike not having the ability to "hide" someone directly from the feed. I have to go into FB for that.

Upvote 0
Since I got my Droid X a few days ago I have been plagued by contact syncing issues and most notably how they relate to the facebook apps, both the Motorola Facebook and the Android market facebook. My suspicion is that these bugs are behind the comic sluggishness of my brand new phone. Here are the bugs I've discovered in the hopes that someone has a solution for me, or that the developers will catch on.

Motorola Facebook Issues:
This app imports ALL of your facebook friends to your contacts. There is no way to turn this off. I have over 1,000 facebook friends, most of whom I will never contact on the phone. This is exceedingly annoying. In reality I have about 300 contacts that I actually want in my phone which I imported easily from google. The Motorola facebook app did seem to sync up with these contacts just fine adding pictures, emails etc. Only problem was it brought everyone else along with it.

Market Facebook Issues:
- Despite setting my sync preferences to only syncing data to existing contacts, Facebook will still add anybody with a phone number attached to their facebook account to "Phone Contacts." "Phone Contacts" are different from "All Contacts" (bizarre), so it's not quite as bad as the Motorola FB importing everyone of my fb friends (phone # or not) to "All contacts", but it's still very, very annoying.

- The app will not sync pictures to contacts.

- The app creates dozens and dozens (in my case 43) "linked profiles" to each of my contacts. I am guessing this is what is causing the ridiculous sluggishness of my phone.

Conclusions:
- I am going to fully delete the Market FB app from my phone along with the data it added to my contacts.

- Since I really love having pics/fb info attached to my contacts, I am going to try using the Moto FB app by itself and just live with the 1000 or so contacts. This will be the first time I am trying the moto app w/o the market app. I am hoping this solves the sluggishness which I suspect has to do with the "linked profiles" created by the Market FB app.

Currently my phone is in the process of deleting the market FB app which is taking FOREVER. I will keep you all posted. And I'd love to hear if anyone else is having similar problems.

If you just want pictures from facebook for your contacts and you don't want to import all of your facebook contacts turn off sync contacts in your facebook app and use an app called synMyPics from the market.

Upvote 0
I searched for this in the market and nothing came up. What should I serach for? and how does this app work?

Sorry the app is called syncMyPics. It will only sync pictures with the people that are in your contacts. So once you clear your 1000 plus facebook friends and are back to your original 300 contacts it will only add pictures to the 300. It is a really cool app. It will also let you schedule when it runs so all pics are always up to date.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones