• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A thread dedicated to the safe removal of apps (What have you removed?)

I think they only show up in htc sence cause I don't see them in launcher pro. Anyway I think the only way to get rid of them is through a factory reset/wipe. Just use titanium backup to get your apps back up and running after.

someone on xda recommended this, but i'm a bit confused on it...won't that either A) bring back the unwanted apps anyway since i'm doing a factory restore, or B) make me lose root? or even both?

i'm entirely confused by this suggestion...if you could explain it to me i'd be grateful, because i'm lost.

Upvote 0
An excellent thought. I'm not sure about the potential of instability. I wonder if OTA updates are the only thing managed by it?

found this on xda...not sure if it'll work for the incredible, but the file is there. i will try it later and see what happens...

edit: i updated the file as directed in the xda thread for the evo and my phone hasn't blown up (knock on wood lol). we shall see what happens when the update is actually pushed to everyone i guess, unless someone can tell me this won't work on the incredible as it apparently does on the evo...

Upvote 0
found this on xda...not sure if it'll work for the incredible, but the file is there. i will try it later and see what happens...

edit: i updated the file as directed in the xda thread for the evo and my phone hasn't blown up (knock on wood lol). we shall see what happens when the update is actually pushed to everyone i guess, unless someone can tell me this won't work on the incredible as it apparently does on the evo...

You have a link? I couldn't find it.

Upvote 0
-Facebook.apk
-FriendStream.apk
(Important note: I have never used Facebook/Friendstream on this phone. Therefore, there was no known account or syncying in play in my case.)

Even if you use it you can still get rid of these two as long as you disable the syncing prior.

Also just a note you can't get rid of one without the other. I wanted to just get rid of friendstream and keep my contacts still syncing with facebook but could not do so because the program relies on both and you will have a constant sync issue.

I am looking into the app Phonebook 2.0 (I think) that may sync facebook contacs for you so I might remove both of these in the near future.

Upvote 0
BTW, has anyone else noticed a significant increase in battery life since removing apps (and in my case) using autostarts to manage all the apps that come up at startup and with state changes in the phone?

i usually stay at 100% now for a good 5 minutes or so when i pull it off the charger in the morning...used to be that i would be at 99% within seconds.

Upvote 0
BTW, has anyone else noticed a significant increase in battery life since removing apps (and in my case) using autostarts to manage all the apps that come up at startup and with state changes in the phone?

I really haven't noticed a difference, I think most of the changes we are doing are for aesthetics, as the apps are not really running in the backround and they are not really taking up any space.

But it certainly does give you a good feeling to disable and/or remove them! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones