• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A timer I didn't set

For about 3-4 months, I've been getting an audible tone that appears to notify me of nothing. I can only describe it as a short (less than half second) guitar chord. What is baffling is that, A) no visual notification accompanies the sound, and B) the sound occurs even when the phone is silent. It is not a timer or alarm that I have set as all of those have been deleted.

I have been unable to show it to anyone since I had no idea when to tell someone to listen as I couldn't discern a pattern or schedule...until now. Over the weekend, I figured out that it is happening at :11 past every hour. Again, I have no alarms set and no reminders or anything like that, so I'm completely lost.

I appreciate any help.

Is it possible you or someone else have somehow inadvertently set up a recurring reminder through Google Now? Those don't usually show up on your calendar or in your alarm app & can be hard to find unless you spend much time in the Google Now app. To check this: go into Google Now & at the bottom of the screen, touch the icon of the hand with the string tied around its finger. If you have any reminders set up you can delete them from there.

If this isn't the culprit, I don't have any other bright ideas.

P.S. I just changed my signature to a minions video... then re-read your post. I guess your subliminal minion avatar must have worked on me because I didn't even make the connection until I re-read your post. To that I say: Ba-na-na!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones