• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A tip for those on T-Mobile

DaveDanger

Oct 20, 2010
Just thought I'd give some advice to those customers who obtained a Desire HD from mobiles.co.uk on a T-Mobile contract.

The standard contract they set you up on is their standard Web 'n' walk for internet usage. This is a 1GB FUP which happens to throttle the internet speeds for 3G/3g+ (HSDPA) to a max of 350kbps. After repeatedly phoning CS about this, they denied all knowledge but thought if there was an issue they would try rebooting my account at their end. On the fourth attempt I explained that according to their T&C's, all andorid handsets should be on the 3GB FUP (which happens to increase your 3G speeds to about 2000kbps). They call this their web 'n' walk plus. It should cost you

Bought contract through www.mobiles.co.uk

If you read the terms and conditions of T-Mobile's FUP it states that handsets not purchased through their online or highstreet store are subject to the 1GB FUP. This is known as the web 'n' walk. But note this is not made clear when buying a phone through a 3rd party retailer.

Beware that 3rd party retailers (carphone warehouse, phones4u, mobiles.co.uk etc) put you on T-Mobiles web 'n' walk and not the web 'n' walk plus. The weird annomily with being on just the web 'n' walk is that you do not get the HSDPA speeds that you phone is capable of recieveing. However when you speak to certain members of customer services the deny knowledge. Do a test on your phone using a broadbandspeed checker to see what speeds you are receiving. (Of course make sure you are connected via the cell and not on wi-fi!)

For you info if your speed is capped it'll be about 350kbps download.

Please note if you see the 'H' symbol on the status bar this does not neccessarily mean you are getting HSDPA speeds. I did not realise this for a few days!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Upvote 0
Got mine from mobiles.co.uk and was on the 1gb data package as mentioned above.

I was stuck at low data speeds though and I get perfect signal where I live and work. Talked to one tech guy at T-mobile who claimed to change some settings, this made no difference. Spoke to customer service on Sunday evening and the lady changed my package to web plus for free, so now I get 3gb data and higher speeds and also get a different booster (unlimited texts for me)

Many reports on various forums are the same, you have to pester T-mobile for it, but they will give it to you regardless where you get the phone from.

Upvote 0
Bought contract through www.mobiles.co.uk

If you read the terms and conditions of T-Mobile's FUP it states that handsets not purchased through their online or highstreet store are subject to the 1GB FUP. This is known as the web 'n' walk. But note this is not made clear when buying a phone through a 3rd party retailer.

Beware that 3rd party retailers (carphone warehouse, phones4u, mobiles.co.uk etc) put you on T-Mobiles web 'n' walk and not the web 'n' walk plus. The weird annomily with being on just the web 'n' walk is that you do not get the HSDPA speeds that you phone is capable of recieveing. However when you speak to certain members of customer services the deny knowledge. Do a test on your phone using a broadbandspeed checker to see what speeds you are receiving. (Of course make sure you are connected via the cell and not on wi-fi!)

For you info if your speed is capped it'll be about 350kbps download.

Please note if you see the 'H' symbol on the status bar this does not neccessarily mean you are getting HSDPA speeds. I did not realise this for a few days!

Hope this helps.

Dave

Got mine from mobiles.co.uk and was on the 1gb data package as mentioned above.

I was stuck at low data speeds though and I get perfect signal where I live and work. Talked to one tech guy at T-mobile who claimed to change some settings, this made no difference. Spoke to customer service on Sunday evening and the lady changed my package to web plus for free, so now I get 3gb data and higher speeds and also get a different booster (unlimited texts for me)

Many reports on various forums are the same, you have to pester T-mobile for it, but they will give it to you regardless where you get the phone from.

I got mines from phones4u..the price plan is..

Upvote 0
just did a quick test of my internet (speedtest app) it came up as 30kbps =S

Oh dear, at that speed it would take ages to view or download anything. If you have a contract and not PAYG with T-Mobile, give them a call and just say you have a Desire HD and according to their T's & C's you should be on the 3GB FUP, this should then release the booster to be available for something else.

Inadvertantly by changing the internet booster you have currently, should increase you speed. However why T-Mobile cap the speed for those on the 1GB FUP (Web 'n' walk) compared to those on the 3GB FUP (web 'n' walk) is a mystery?

Dave

P.S. Just for anyones info it is worth trying to do this. My speed was capped at 355kbps, but yesterday, following the change on Monday evening, I did some tests and the average for my speeds was: 1800kbps (1.8mbps). Last week in the same place I was getting about 180kbps so a 10 times increase. (or a 1000% i believe.)

Upvote 0
Not sure where you live Karnka, but fortunately I haven't noticed too much fluctuation in speeds in the south of UK but guess, as with any network, it depends on where you are, the population, distance from mast etc etc.

One reason I decided to go with T-Mobile, apart from the good deal being offered by mobiles.co.uk, was that they are merging with orange network and at the moment I believe that if you have no reception with one carrier then it picks up the other but only for 2G data/calls. I did briefly speak to a CS adviser in Three a few weeks ago and he said at some point early next year this will also apply for 3G and HSPA. I might be wrong and feel free to correct me, but am I also right in thinking that T-Mobile also site share with Three.

Therefore by going with T-Mobile you are effectively getting 3 different networks but I'm not sure if you get a choice if you have a weak signal with T-Mobile to switch over to a strong signal with Orange or Three!

Dave

Upvote 0
Dave do your new changes show on your T-Mobile account on the internet ? Mine don't just yet but that could be because the changes have been made this morning.

Tony,

Looking at my T-Mobile account page, the only difference I can see is my extra booster for 'Free Land-line Calls'. I already had the unlimited internet booster from before, but it doesn't give you any details on what data tariff you are on.

Dave

Upvote 0
Kenson - That means you're definitely only seeing a 2g connection. Have you ever seen '3G' or 'H' in the notification bar? Perhaps you just have crap reception where you're testing....

One thing worth checking. Somewhere roughly like settings --> wireless and mobile --> mobile networks there is a 'use only 2g' checkbox. Make sure that isn't ticked!

Hy karna...thanks for ur advice...i tried looking for this check box but cant seem to. find it :(

Upvote 0
So i did a test on my DHD and was getting around 30 kb/s on average which is 2g as the notification bar constantly had a "G".

Okay so i phone T-Mobile spoke to one person and explained the problem that it was taking forever to open web pages etc...

They said they will do a "Contect Unlock" which is only available to over 18s. (Fine as im 21)

After that i was seeing a "3G" and sometimes a "H" on the notification bar.

So i did a test when it was on "H" and i got 195 kb/s download and 40 kb/s upload.

That isn't what HSDPA should be.

The other problem is the connection type keeps switching like mad so i don't think it did the test constantly on a HSDPA connection and therefore didn't give correct readings, But it doesn't seem to stay on "H" for long at all so i cannot even get a proper test done.

The coverage in my area (Lancashire) is meant to be Good - Very Good.

They started to blame it on the phone and told me to give carphone warehouse a call and ask for a new phone as it shouldn't be going this slow. But frankly i'd rather get it sorted without going onto a new phone.

Is it worth giving Tmob another call?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones