1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

A tip for those running Link2sd

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by RedBeansNrice, Apr 22, 2012.

1. RedBeansNrice

RedBeansNrice Member

I've always had trouble with link2sd not mounting the ext2 partition after flashing a new ROM. I would have to actually reformat the ext2 partition in Mini-tool every time I changed ROMs, which is a pain in the ass. I couldn't figure out why this was happening until today.

The reason is when I flash a ROM I wipe data, cache partition, dalvik cache, format system, format data, and format cache. This may be overkill but this is what i do. The problem is when you do the format data/factory reset step, cwm will also format your ext2 partition to ext3, causing it not to mount in link2sd.

So to make a long story short, if you're using Link2sd and you're flashing a new ROM, first boot into recovery, then remove the sd card before you wipe data. After cwm is done wiping data, just reinsert your sd card and continue wiping everything else and flash your ROM. You will then be able to go into Link2sd and mount the ext2 partition with no problems. Provided that you already have an ext2 partition, but that goes without saying.

Peace

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bart2201

bart2201 Android Enthusiast

THanks for finding this little gem. It works perfectly and helps to keep Link2sd from becoming a pain the azz when flashing or installing zips from cwm

RedBeansNrice likes this.
  3. prasetyadrian

prasetyadrian Lurker

I have a question:
    Does rooting = flashing ROM?

Coz I rooted my phone and created ext2 partition on my SD card and got the same problem, unable to mount the ext2

What do I do? Thx

4. wes213

wes213 Lurker

If all you did was root the phone then your admire will only recognize a fat 32 second partition, only some roms will see the ext 2 format. ;)

5. KageBeast

KageBeast Android Expert

While we're on the topic is there any way to get a stock rom to support ext2 or ext3? I'm using link2sd on the 2.3.6 update but since it's stock i have to use fat32 as the second partition meaning i have to always remount the script at boot and reboot.

6. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

no rooting on the admire is not flashing a rom. while most roms are prerooted its not the same thing. rooting gives you special permission such access to the system apps etc and flashing is more like changing the android OS to custom software. thats the best way i could put it

7. SacredBloodlin

SacredBloodlin Android Enthusiast

Could it be that people are having issues with Link2SD because most of the roms for this phone are EXT4 and not EXT2? Just wondering. I don't know much about Link2SD, all I know is I used an EXT4 partition and never had any issues.

8. enigmadroid

enigmadroid Android Enthusiast

Ext4 ROMs can mount ext2, ext3, and fat partitions. rfs based ROMs may mount ext2, depending on the ROM, but definitely fat. The best bet if you're on rfs is fat.

9. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

question what if the rom was made to wipe the data so you dont have to

10. Spz0

Spz0 Android Expert

If you're on rfs, run fat32. Ext most likely will not operate well, if at all ;-)

11. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

i didnt feel like starting a new thread out there but this seems like a fitting place to ask this:

to unpartition my sd card all i have to do is format it through either a factory reset or CWM right? CWM being the more convenient option

12. elfy23

elfy23 Member

I don't believe you can un-partion through those means. Doing a factory reset only wipes the content. You can download and use minitool partion wizard on your computer to un-partion

Samsung Admire Forum

The Samsung Admire release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.5" inch screen, 3MP camera, GB RAM, processor, and 1600mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews