1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

A valuable member was banned but we (indulge owners) need his continued support

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box & Feedback' started by ciper, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    The Samsung Galaxy Indulge was the first LTE Android on the market but most don't know about it because its on MetroPCS. There aren't many people who have this phone and even fewer still with the technical knowledge to help crack it open

The user MikesToolz was the first person to create a root solution for the phone and remove the built in software that was spying on its users.
    http://androidforums.com/indulge-all-things-root/282280-success-bloatware-removed.html

The phone lacked the ability to disable 4g and with a fresh battery the phone would die in 4-6 hours! He was the first to find a way to disable the LTE radio through a hidden menu
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-indulge/321786-success-turn-4g-off-keep-off.html

He was the first to figure out how to get the onboard tethering, which was hidden, to work properly and then to find an open source project that did the job better
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-indulge/283324-success-wifi-tethering.html

These are only a few examples. He has been instrumental in many of the discoveries we've made and should be given credit as the sole reason the Indulge subforum on AndroidForums became the goto place for this phone.

I know I have personally directed a large number of the new members to this forum since it was the most valuable source of information, and that was largely because of Mikes contributions

I would assume he had a disagreement with some moderator because looking through all of the recent posts (I probably check the forum 20 times or more per day) there was nothing to indicate even a slight issue.

What will it take to get his account reinstated?

Advertisement

confed likes this.
  2. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

He was copying and pasting his Paypal donate button after a lot of his posts and I asked him (via PM) for him to not do that and just place it in his signature (which will show up after the post anyways); he responded he can't add images to his sig; I told him he has two options-place a donate LINK or he could sign up for premium and be able to add Paypal images like many of the other premium members. He responded with basically a long-winded no; stating that the site already makes plenty of money from ads and that there shouldn't be a restriction. I told him that is not something I have control over and that we have to stay consistent in terms of our modding (if we let him do it, then that creates the grounds for argument of ALL members just tacking on their paypal donate buttons, which many PAID premium members do in their SIGs), so I still could not allow it and told him the two solutions would be what I offered. He did not respond.

Next day he makes several posts - and.. well, all of them had the paypal button.. again. This time I send him a more formal warning via Infraction, and at this point I'm asking him for the 2nd time to please stop. No response.

Following day, he does it.. AGAIN. Keep in mind this is after 2 warnings yet he still is doing what I told him not to for the third time. So I issue a 3 day ban. He then creates another account on here, to which I PM him telling him that although its against the rules I want to try to be lenient in this situation due to the pure fact that he was helpful, by not banning his second account but rather telling him that he can use the second account for the time being but it will be banned once his original MikeTools account is restored after the 3 days. I did note that both accounts will be monitored closely by me as that does not discount the fact that he still should not be adding his paypal donate button after every post. He responded with "Please delete both my accounts and all my posts."

So after 4 DIFFERENT warnings and his OWN request to be banned, that was what happened and the reasoning for his departure.

3. MikesTooLz2

MikesTooLz2 Guest
    None
    I did not request to be banned I requested all my posts be deleted along with my account
    Also issue mentioned to me was about images not paypal donation.

I see You like to just twist thing around as you please.

4. MikesTooLz2

MikesTooLz2 Guest
    None
    According to my ban message I'm considered a spammer.

Why did you say it would be ok if I just pay the $20 for premium membership? Spanking is ok for premium members?

5. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

I do not see the difference between having your account deleted versus ban.

Here is my ORIGINAL first warning which was through PM form. The Paypal donate button was part of that image:

" Originally Posted by woop
    Please be careful with posts such as these:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikesTooLz [​IMG]
    rofl
    also **LTEETL##
    If I have helped you in any way, here is my tip jar: If you would like to share links/donate buttons/etc., PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep it in your sig. You have been very helpful in the Induldge forum and I'd hate to see action against your account for such behavior. Thanks!"

6. Silvist

Silvist Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    I second his reinstatement! Mike has not only helped tons of users on the Indulge but the LG Optimus posts as well. He has never started any arguments, or had any negative feed back. All he's done is help the community. So if perhaps all the mods could vote on this, instead of one taking it personally, the forums would appreciate it.

Considering he was one of the first to post on these very pages, it would be a HUGE loss if he was kept banned. Not only that....but because of his efforts all the people you see posting here now are a direct result of his influence. Check the dates of all the members on the indulge forums who are posting, they all joined at the release of the indulge. Mike posted information forwarded to these very forums, making the traffic you see now. If having more user and more traffic doesn't help this site, then I don't know what else to say.*coughs*advertisements*coughs*

7. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

You placed the images/link/etc into posts where they should not be going, and kept doing it after I told you to stop. That is spam.

Please reread what I said. It is OK for premium members to include paypal donate image buttons IN THEIR SIG, as many have done that. I did not say it was OK for them to throw it into random posts.

8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

If you read the PM I sent above, I told him he has been helpful and I did NOT want to see actions taken against him for breaking the rules - thus sending him a PM.

He would have been unbanned after the 3 day ban (realize this was after SEVERAL warnings; so it wasn't like I decided right off the bat to ban him for a few days), but insisted that his account as well as all his posts be deleted, so that was his decision, not mine. Please keep that in mind. And by creating three accounts now, he is adding to that checklist of broken guidelines.

9. Silvist

Silvist Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    You have a link to these guidelines? Or they just listed when you sign up for the forums and click "I accept"?

Again the reason he wanted his posts deleted, is because he was banned. He felt if you were going to "remove" his account, that you should not leave up posts that he takes credit for.

10. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)
    None

marctronixx likes this.
  11. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice
    None

Nov 28, 2009
    This thread, ultimately, serves no propose but to argue.

If Mike wants to contact Phases via the "contact us" link at the bottom of the forum to have his account reviewed, that is his decision and his alone. Numerous useful members have been banned in the past. Personally, I haven't looked into this particular user (nor will I be as only Phases can reverse such actions).

/thread

marctronixx likes this.
  12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    From - Site Rules/Guidelines

And also -

We peer review each other's actions specifically to ensure that we're not being personal about things.

We interpret the rules to the best of our ability, and when things escalate by a user who won't engage on the site rules, we are left with no choice but to exercise our final option, and even then, this is done as a last resort and on a case-by-case basis.

This may have been worked out differently - but when a user thinks we're in the wrong, the thing to not do is ignore a mod warning.

We may or may not get our rulings perfectly right, we are human - but ignoring a mod warning is black and white where mod staff is concerned.

We make no claim to perfection, Phases is the point of final appeal.

PS - Sorry, Kelmar, was posting while you were locking. Was about to do the same.

marctronixx likes this.
  13. Phases

Phases NO LONGER ADMIN MSG ROB

Sep 9, 2008
    Male
    IT
    Nashville, TN
    Just to chime in.

I agree with woop's actions if everything I read here is accurate. It appears he was asked multiple times to stop with the large images and paypal link in a fake signature.

1. He was deliberately going around the signature rules we have in place, not only content and size for regular users, but the 'one signature per page' plugin could be gone around like this. We have that in place for a reason. (Edit: recently bugged out and fails to work for some users, it's on our dev's list to fix)

2. He was asked multiple times to stop.

3. He created multiple accounts, which is something clearly discussed in the linked rules thread.

4. He asked to have his accounts deleted - I assume because he is not okay with the rules we have in place. This is not woop's fault. He enforces the site rules, this is what moderators are supposed to do.

If what I took from this is all true - I would say woop was rather lenient from start to finish. As mentioned above - if someone does not agree with a moderator's actions, the thing to do is let me know. Acting against them does not help.

Should someone else (mod) reply on here again though, open it back up. If we're going to go to town posting the members should be able to as well.

edit: I see you each meant to lock and were in mid posting. Cool.