1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support A way to check if you have a "revised" Nexus 5?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nx1977, Jan 1, 2014.

1. nx1977

nx1977 Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    Is there an easy way to tell from either the serial number, box or about screen if your device is one of the revised ones?

Don't seem to have any of the issues the revised version solves, and can't tell 100% if the speaker and microphone holes are the larger ones.

Advertisement

2. lampthis

lampthis Newbie
    None

Feb 3, 2012
    B.C.
    Not sure about specific revision numbers.
    The first 3 digits of the serial number seems to be different though.
    First shipments started with 310, then 311 and 312.
    Could indicate month of manufacture.
    On the other hand, I got the model that starts with the 310 serial.
    The volume did seem kind of low, but the new firmware seem to have taken care of that. Other than that, the phone works great.

nx1977 likes this.
  3. sprof

sprof Lurker
    None

Dec 19, 2013
    The important thing is that you are happy with the phone and it works as you would expect.

Tyseyh, zipred and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    You are absolutely correct.

Out of sheer chance, I have both to compare. The very early model I bought for myself, and the latest model I bought just six days ago, straight from the play store. Visually the holes in the bottom are indeed a bit larger, yet I hear no difference in either volume or quality. To check myself I've had several other friends who are unaware of these minor changes, listen to and evaluate these from a users perspective. Not one person has noticed.

I'm not suggesting there's no difference, especially since I've only compared two. But it does indicate just how serious Google is about being responsive to any reports of issues no matter how small.

I'm very impressed and completely satisfied with my original Nexus 5, it's my favorite amongst the other current top of the line Smartphones I currently own (see sidebar).

5. nx1977

nx1977 Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    What serial numbers does yours start with?

6. Codec

Codec Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Male
    What about the serial number that is listed under status, is that the one I can look at? Cause I can't see the numbers on the back of the phone, they are too small.

7. nx1977

nx1977 Android Expert
    None

Feb 8, 2010
    UK
    It's also on the box.

8. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    I placed my first order the very moment they appeared on Google Play. The most recent N5 is only ten days old.

Both are Black 32GB models

#1) serial begins with: 540
    #2) serial begins with: 543

I have a jewellers loupe which I used to inspect them very closely, the screens are both perfectly flush, ports and buttons are excellent. The buttons on the newest are very slightly rounded on the ends, you have to look hard to notice. Same great tactile experience, thus I have no preference. Not enough difference in speaker holes to be a make or break decision for me.

I'm picky & outspoken, so I'd be the first to mention any differences of consequence.

Both are very fast, fun, and completely stable. My tiny cramped iPhone 5 has nothing on the Nexus 5, in fact I greatly prefer the soft touch, grippy back side of the Nexus. There's nothing like the beautiful displays. Only my Note 3 has such a gorgeous display.

Having installed the Qualcomm BatteryGuru App, I'm getting insanely great battery life. Watching as it turns the Wi-Fi on and off as needed is a fascinating experience, not because it's automatic, but because it only does so when I'm entering a new Wi-Fi zone that in many cases I'm not aware of till it occurs.

Personally I couldn't be happier.

Edit:
    I've got everything turned on, screen brightness at 80%. Heavily used all day (web, email, calls, etc,) when traveling I easily get 16 hours. Before installing BatteryGuru, 10-12 hours. Non-travel days yet lots of usage, I have approx 45 to 50% remaining at days end.

9. TechnoJohnUK

TechnoJohnUK Newbie
    None

So, what is this revised version all about? Why were they revised? Is it worth making sure I get one of these newer ones?

10. LuvMusic

LuvMusic Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Chicago area
  11. zipred

zipred Android Expert
    None

Oct 8, 2013
    California USA
    I'm not a brand sensitive or biased enthusiast, instead I prefer to remain open minded and embrace all brands. This is because I'm a fierce believer in competition and buying the phones I comment on. That way I'm not passing on hearsay and unfounded or exaggerated reports or complaints.

When I provide feedback it's the result of owning the phone, learning it's strengths and weaknesses and then, and only then, commenting on my experiences and observations.

12. LuvMusic

LuvMusic Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Chicago area
    And your point is? :thinking:

13. TechnoJohnUK

TechnoJohnUK Newbie
    None

To be honest. I had a really good play with the handset in a couple of stores on Saturday. The audio quality was pretty good IMO, way better through the speaker than my current phone (HTC Sen XE), and most definitely very good and plenty loud enough through the headphones too (and these were ones with the smaller holes/larger spacing). Don't know which version I'll get but I'm sure I'll be happy with it either way.

14. Codec

Codec Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Male
    can anyone answer my question?

15. mc4golf60

mc4golf60 Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    Male
    Computer Sys Hardware Eng
    Central Texas USA
    The batch number is the first 3 digits of the serial number from the box. there might be some correlation to the SerNum under status but have not seen anyone use that.
    batches are 310, 311 and 312 that I have heard of. I have the 310 and NO problems with audio or microphone.

16. Codec

Codec Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 16, 2011
    Male
    I don't have the box anymore, I sent it back with the replacement.

Tags: