• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A way to permanently disable Email app notifications?

SamFen

Dec 7, 2009
Hi all,

I use Gmail and use the Gmail app as my mail app. Gmail notifies me when I have new mail.

My Droid also came with the Email app, which is also hooked into my gmail account. By default, it also checks for new messages and notifies me about them. Naturally, I don't want the double-notifications, and the Email app is also crap at marking emails off as read if I've read them in Gmail.

So I went into the Email app settings and unchecked "Send notification." That worked great.

BUT... it keeps turning itself back on. If I ever restart my phone, it comes back again with the same stupid notifications. I think sometime it resets itself if it restarts itself after I kill it.

Anyone know how to turn off notifications PERMANENTLY?

Ah, ok. I was worried that that email account was actually tied to the functioning of the Droid in a more fundamental sense. Since you need a gmail account to set up the Droid, and since they set up that email account at the store, I was worried that deleting it would cause problems.

Deleted it. Works fine. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Of course you could also kill the email app after you boot your phone. There are a bunch of apps that autostart when the phone boots. I always kill them all after everything has finished. There are apps that will let you autokill them at boot, or you can get a task manager app to kill them manually.

If you are using the Gmail app to get your email, there is no reason for the Mail app to be running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones