• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root A Win For the Good Guys!

-Mike-

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2011
Baltimore
I finally got to my wits end with my Evo 4G LTE and took it into Sprint today. I have spoke with them on the phone in the past, last night being the most recent. I am always very candid about being rooted. Its the first thing I tell them so we can get that out of the way. In the store, I told them. I also advised them that every person I've spoke with in the tech dept as well as upper management has said Sprint does not promote rooting but, does not prohibit it. After 10 minutes of exchanges back and forth, the guy at the counter called the in-house tech up to the front with us. Again the conversation continued about the phone being rooted. I kept telling them what the reps had said in the past and that I had documentation outlining Sprints policy on rooting. Believe it or not, the reps left notes in the system after my phone calls noting that the phone was rooted.

After explaining to them that my issues weren't software related but hardware related, they finally gave in. I asked that they do an RF test on my radios. The guy himmed and hawed a bit but did run the test. Sho'nuff, the radios are bad. So then the argument ensued about the phone being rooted. I argued that being rooted had nothing to do with the hardware failure. I also took them to school on rooting. Both dudes were looking like two deer caught in the headlights, lol.

After them failing to show me how to tell if a device is rooted, I brought back up the fact that tech support (the upper level) said they were ok with root and it was also in the notes on my account.

I walked out of the store, went to my work van (where i have a laptop set up) and flashed back to a stock rom. Took it back in and I will have a new phone on Thursday.

Bottom line, dont let them bully you if you're rooted and having trouble. If you've bricked your phone, you're probably gonna be SOL, lol. One other thing I would recommend, make a nandroid of your current set up. Afterwards, flash back to a stock rooted ROM. Chances are, they don't know enough to figure out you're rooted. I will admit I went in knowing that an argument was going to ensue. I like a good fight every once in a while, keeps me on my toes :D. My point was to bully them back the way they bully most of us.

I won, I'm happy. Let's hope this new/refurb is better than my current.....

Thanks to ocnbrze for answering some stupid questions super fast. You're like a ninja or something. Thanks to Granite (i think it was you, correct me if im wrong) for telling me to get the RF test.

Goods to hear. I always tell them I'm rooted, and if giving the phone to them, that they aren't allowed to change any software without permission :cool:

The guys at the store I go to here are very root friendly. When my nexus had a problem first thing they did was go to xda and download the stock firmware for it.

I told them I already did that but I was funny to see

Upvote 0
so here is the policy:
Sprint's Policy on Rooted Phones

and here is another story about it as well:
Sprint's Policy Put to the Test

but it is the same for me. i have a sprint tech that i have gotten to know thru the years and he is ok with me rooting my phones so long as he knows that the issue i come in for is not root related.

but thanx for sharing your story mike.....glad it all worked out for you.

Upvote 0
Best part of this whole mess..... received replacement phone on Thursday. They set it up and all that. I tested internet in store. As I was getting in my car I looked down and the internet icon on the phone and it was gone. Not even in my possession for 10 minutes and it dropped out. Had to bump airplane mode on/off to get it back. Friggin JUNK.

Upvote 0
Best part of this whole mess..... received replacement phone on Thursday. They set it up and all that. I tested internet in store. As I was getting in my car I looked down and the internet icon on the phone and it was gone. Not even in my possession for 10 minutes and it dropped out. Had to bump airplane mode on/off to get it back. Friggin JUNK.

Mine does this as well. This is my second one, the first one was worse.

This phone also takes about 10 minutes to fully transition over to the Airave at the house. My OG and the Father-in-laws Gnex transition over instantly. It doesn't bother me too much anymore, used to drive me nuts. My kids attack me when I get home, so I really don't get the chance to use the phone anyway. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones