1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

a year to go still

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jaybo1973, Sep 2, 2011.

1. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

Hi guys

I have just under a year to go on my contract now. A 2 year contract is a long time. I still love my desire and always find something to do on it when I have a spare 5 mins, but its tired. I am forever trying to free up storage. Yes, its am issue with all desire users! A year to go with the issue though :(

STill not rooted or upgraded to 2.3 ruu. I guess I should. I doubt the latter makes much difference to storage though?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

A minute difference as for apps with libs (not all apps) it can move to sd too.

Its been a year, you said you would root. Just do it. Youll never complain about memory again. We're here for you buddy.

3. get it rooted , it ll be like having a brand new phone , first thing you ll notice is the battery life

4. deakodude

deakodude Member

You know by coming to this forum how much help/support is available.......get it rooted.

5. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

Cheers guys. Yeah, I know I'd get loads of help on here. It can't be as difficult as the mental software I use at work. I know I have said I'm gonna do It before, I don't know why I have avoided for so long. I reckon ill go for it in the next few days.

6. Intruder

Intruder Android Enthusiast

Jezz just do it!! root and s-off very easy now and one process I have had mine 18 months and did it the first week I had it and never looked back... Cooked roms are ace..

7. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

Right. Monday evening. Definately! I have a couple of hours to myself

8. Intruder

Good man report back... Truely it's painless and will take 15 mins...

9. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

Cool, will do. Will ask in the root section if I have any problems. I guess ill need to know which ROM to use before I start

10. Tyseyh

Tyseyh Android Expert

ROMs are personal preference.

Intruder likes this.
  11. MarmiteX1

MarmiteX1 Well-Known Member

You could try CyanogenMod 7, Redux or Oxygen rom.

Oxygen rom is a good rom to start with. It's lightweight and clean. I've been using it for couple of weeks and I haven't had any issues with it.

Just make sure that you do a nandroid backup of your current rom before you start flashing roms.

Hope it goes well!

jaybo1973 likes this.
  12. rtb35

rtb35 Android Enthusiast

Root it m8 you wont regret it,i waited 9 months before memory issues persuaded me to root and i have never looked back,your phone will have a new lease of life!

In fact my contract has now finished but i have decided to keep my desire because it does everything i need and i can always get the latest update to android via custom roms.

As to what rom you should choose you have 2 choices really either a sense based rom or a AOSP rom,i guarantee you will have fun choosing.

Good luck!

jaybo1973 likes this.
  13. Intruder

I would say Leedroid man as it's not far from stock with a few teaks in a couple of forms.. GB or GB desire HD port.... Alot coming from CM7 to leedroid

14. Intruder

Just make sure if you need a gold card or not.. Meaning if it's unbranded you don't if it is you do ;)

jaybo1973 likes this.
  15. cammyhorne

cammyhorne Newbie

am the same as you mate, had my phone now for 11 months, just recently put Gingerbread on it, and it really has made it alot better, would like to root but seem to change my mind, i will see how you get on before i do, it seems straight forward enough, but its choosing the ROM which is slowing me down. if some on went here choose these files i would do it lol.

16. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

Thanks again guys. I gues one that isn't to far away from what I am using will be a good start. I have always thought about doing it, but never got to a stage where I have looked into ROMs. I wouldn't even know where to get them from. I'm sure the rooting section explains all.

17. Intruder

Desire Android Development - xda-developers

jaybo1973 likes this.
  18. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

ill let you know. I have waited long enough. AS already mentioned and as you say, its picking a Rom. I reckon leedroid, I only say that because it is the one I have heard mentioned the most. I will see tomorrow

19. Intruder

Leedroid is a good choice plus has a very good FAQ with all the info needed

20. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

Just read the faq in the root section on here by lekky; Jesus, it looks a complex procedure :(

21. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Most the faqs are mine. Just ask in them if you have any questions

22. Intruder

nah.. its automatic nowadays sit back and leave it to it (once the HBOOT drivers are installed) When I did mine mate there was no unreovked or the likes so had to do it the long winded way...

23. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

does the gingerbread ruu let you put Google maps on to SD? This would make a big difference

24. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

NIce one. is lekky no longer with us? LAst I heard, he had dropped his phone down the bog. that was months ago though

25. jaybo1973

jaybo1973 Android Expert

this is the short version? LOL

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews