1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root a2sd and widgets, noob needs help!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wilfried, Jul 18, 2011.

1. wilfried

wilfried Newbie

Oct 2, 2010
    I've managed to figure most everything about rooting and flashing myself, but this bit has me flummoxed.

I flashed and was running Synergy ROM RC2 with no problem. I was running out of internal memory, so decided to try a2sd.

I partitioned SD card and flashed DarkTremor a2sd. I redownloaded all my apps from Market, and they seemed to install onto my SD card and run with no problem.

However, when I reboot, Swype and widgets stop working. I have to reinstall all my widgets to my home screens to get them to work again. After much searching and reading threads here in at XDA, I haven't figured out what's wrong, or how to fix it. Do I have to move widgets to internal memory? If so, how? Or can they be run from SD? Did I do something wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 24, 2010
    District Chief in City of Pgh. paramedic rescue se
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hmm...this sounds strange. The thing about both the built in CMA2SD and the DTA2SD you flashed is that they trick the system into thinking the apps are installed internally and thus avoid the no working widget scenario. Did you or do you have the market version of "Apps2SD" installed? That was introduced in froyo and allowed developers the ability to make apps installable on the SD card. However, this would often break the widgets; the apps themselves would run just fine. In essence, make sure you have uninstalled Apps2SD if you had it, if not then download terminal emulator from the market, in terminal emulator type a2sd check. If you have the DTa2sd you should get a read out. Worse case scenario, wipe completely. Reflash the ROM and sign into google. Let it settle then go into the Synergy updater and reflash the DTa2SD. Reboot and then begin to reinstall your apps.

Long story short, if you have partitioned, and your apps are moving to the SD partition and DT a2SD is installed properly, your widgets should work. Alternately, as you probably know, the built in CM a2sd will work if partitioned with no input from you. You can try that also after a clean reflash. Finally don't restore apps from Titanium or My Backup Pro. This has been known to cause problems. Try restoring fresh from the Market. You can do it online with little fuzz and it's faster than doing it from the phone. Then restore your data to the apps from the aforementioned apps. Good luck.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. wilfried

wilfried Newbie

Oct 2, 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I solved the problem, but I'm not quite sure how. When I rebooted the first time, widgets on my home screens more or less froze, simply didn't work, and some disappeared altogether. Swype also crashed and refused to run (I had deleted the built in Swype and downloaded the beta). Removing and re-adding the widgets on the home screen made them work again, but they stopped working again after the next reset.

I rebooted and re-added the widgets several times, and for some inexplicable reason, they now work and survive a reset. Perhaps I didn't wait long enough after the first reboot, and the system hadn't settled down before I tried to use it. That's just a wild guess.

For now, all is well. In any case, I managed to avoid reinstalling everything yet again, which I was really loathe to do.

ETA: BTW, it helped that you said that a2sd doesn't require any configuring. I thought I was missing something. The various threads seemed to assume basic knowledge which left me flummoxed. For instance, they'd say "To do X, type Y." Type Y where? It took me the longest time to figure out I needed to find a terminal app. And when I finally figured out how to type "help," none of the commands looked very helpful.

Tags: